Adam P. Schmitt
Pen Name: None Connection to Illinois: Schmitt has lived outside of Chicago his entire life. He currently lives in Oswego. Biography: Adam P. Schmitt has been a middle-school educator for more than fifteen years. 'Speechless' is his debut middle-grade novel.
- -- Starred Review, Kirkus
- -- starred review, BCCB
- -- Finalist, Midwest Booksellers Choice Award, 2019
- -- Indies Introduced Selection, 2018
- -- Indie Next Top 10 anticipated children’s books for winter, 18-19
- -- NY Public Library top 100 Children’s books, 2018
- -- Junior Library Guild selection
- -- Illinois READS Selection, Illinois Reading Council, 2019
ISBN: 9781536200928 OCLC: 1023086888 As if being stuffed into last year's dress pants at his cousin's wake weren't uncomfortable enough, thirteen-year-old Jimmy has just learned from his mother that he has to say a few words at the funeral the next day. Why him? What could he possibly say about his cousin, who ruined everything they did? He can't recall one birthday party, family gathering, or school event with Patrick that didn't result in injury or destruction. As Jimmy attempts to navigate the odd social norms of the wake, he draws on humor, heartfelt concern, and a good deal of angst while racking his brain and his memory for a decent and meaningful memory to share. But it's not until faced with a microphone that the realization finally hits him: it's not the words that are spoken that matter the most, but those that are truly heard.--Publisher.