Pen Name: Dan McCune
Born: 1935 in Racine, Wisconsin
Contact Information: Author
Biographical and Professional Information
Dorothy Haas is an editor turned author who specialized in books for children and young adults.
Dorothy grew up in Racine, Wisconsin and attended Marquette University. After graduating from Marquette in 1955, she took a summer job with Whitman Publishing Division of Western Publishing Company in Racine. Soon after, she became a senior editor and worked there until 1968 when started working as the senior editor for Worldbook Childcraft in Chicago. In 1970, Haas started working with Rand-McNally as the editor of books for children and young adults.
At Whitman, Haas developed and supervised several series of books for young children. In addition to editing these books, Ms. Haas also authored over twenty picture books for Whitman. At Worldbook Childcraft, she edited the Childcraft Annual 1969, a textbook for children about the human mind and body. At Rand-McNally, she worked with several authors, including Pamela Sampson, Tasha Tudor, and Walter Wangerin.
In 1957, Dorothy wrote her first book Little Joe's Puppy. After leaving Western, she continued to write picture books for early readers, but also began writing early chapter books, and novels for young adults. When she retired from Rand-McNally in 1983, she devoted herself to writing on a full-time basis.
- Grandpapa and Me, 1966
- The Baby Hugs Bear and Baby Tugs Bear Counting Book, 1984
- Dorothy and the Seven-Leaf Clover, 1985
- Dorothy and Old King Crow, 1986
- The Secret Life of Dilly McBean, 1986
- The Haunted House, Scholastic, Inc., 1988
- Michael Jordan, (Under Pen name Dan McCune) Crestwood , 1988
- Trouble at Alcott School, Scholastic, Inc., 1989
- Not Starring Jilly, Scholastic, Inc., 1989
- Peanut in Charge, Scholastic, Inc., 1989
- The Friendship Test, Scholastic, Inc., 1990
- Two Friends Too Many, Scholastic, Inc., 1990
- Alcott Library is Falling Down, Scholastic, Inc., 1991
- Burton and the Giggle Machine, Bradbury, 1992
- The Bears Upstairs
- New Friends
- Peanut and Jilly Forever
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Trouble at Alcott School (Peanut Butter and Jelly)
Release Date: 1989-07
The Friendship Test (Peanut Butter and Jelly)
Release Date: 1990-07
Two Friends Too Many (Peanut Butter and Jelly)
Release Date: 1990-09
Alcott Library Is Falling Down (Peanut Butter and Jelly)
Release Date: 1991-01
Burton and the Giggle Machine
Release Date: 1996-01
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access. Readers are welcome to add their input regarding this entry to the Dorothy Haas discussion page.