Individual Author Record
Name: Marguerite HenryPen Name: None Genre: Audience: Children; Children; Born: 1902 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Died: November 26, 1997, in Rancho Santa Fe, California
-- Marguerite Henry on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=marguerite+henry
Illinois ConnectionHenry moved to Wayne, Illinois in 1939 with her husband.
Biographical and Professional InformationMarguerite Henry was a beloved children's author. She is especially noted for her books about horses. Henry grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in a warm and loving family. At age 21 she married Sidney Crocker Henry. sense neither of them had pets as children, they set about collecting animals when they moved to Wayne, Illinois. The first was a pony from Chincoteague, the original Misty. Misty became famous around the country when Henry wrote about her, and even more so later after a movie was made about her. The tital was "Misty" (Twentieth-Century Fox - 1961). She was visited by thousands of schoolchildren. All of her books are based on true stories about real horses and other animals and her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults. She received much critical acclaim for her historical perspective in writing. Several of her books have been made into movies. She began writing in the 1940's and published more than 50 books in her lifetime.
- Auno and Tauno: A Story of Finland , Albert Whitman & Co, 1940
- Dilly Dally Sally (illustrated by Gladys Rourke Blackwood), Saalfield Publishing Co, 1940
- Geraldine Belinda, Platt and Munk, 1942
- Their First Igloo On Baffin Island, Albert Whitman & Co, 1943
- A Boy and a Dog, Wilcox & Follett Co, 1944
- Justin Morgan Had a Horse (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Simon & Schuster, 2002
- The Little Fellow, Holt Rinehart Winston, 1945
- Robert Fulton, Boy Craftsman, Bobbs-Merrill, 1945
- Shamrock Queen, Scholastic Book Services, 1947
- Misty of Chincoteague, 1947
- Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin, 1947
- King of the Wind, 1948
- Little-or-Nothing from Nottingham, Whittlesey House, 1949
- Brighty of Grand Canyon, 1953
- Wagging Tails: Album of Dogs, Rand McNally, 1955
- Cinnabar, the One O'Clock Fox (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Rand McNally, 1956
- Misty, the Wonder Pony, by Misty, Herself, Rand McNally, 1956
- Black Gold (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Rand McNally & Co, 1957
- Muley-Ears, Nobody's Dog (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Rand McNally & Co, 1959
- Gaudenzia, Pride of the Palio (illustrated by Lynd Ward), Rand McNally & Co, 1960
- All About Horses, Random House, 1962
- Dear Readers and Riders (Also published as Dear Marguerite Henry), Rand McNally, 1969
- San Domingo, The Medicine Hat Stallion (illustrated by Robert Lougheed), Rand McNally, 1972
- Birds at Home , Checkerboard Pr; Revised edition, 1972
- Stories from Around the World, Hubbard Press, 1974
- A Pictorial Life Story of Misty, Rand McNally, 1976
- One Man's Horse, Rand McNally, 1978
- Stormy, Misty's Foal (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Aladdin, 1991
- White Stallion of Lipizza, Sonlight, 1992
- Five O'Clock Charlie (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Aladdin, 1995
- Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West (illustrated by Robert Lougheed), Peter Smith Publisher, 1996
- Born To Trot (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Aladdin, 1993
- Album of Horses (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Aladdin, 1993
- Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley (illustrated by Bonnie Shields), Scholastic Inc., 1996
- Misty's Twilight (illustrated by Karen Haus Grandpre), Aladdin, 1996
- Our First Pony, Aladdin, 1997
- Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Bradford Press, 2000
- Brighty of the Grand Canyon (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Peter Smith Pub Inc, 2001
- Misty of Chincoteague, Aladdin; Annv edition, 2006
- King of the Wind (illustrated by Wesley Dennis), Aladdin, 2006)
- Sea Star, Orphan of Chincoteague (illustrated by Wesley Dennis) Aladdin; Reprint edition 2007Pictured Geography Series
- Alaska in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman and Co, 1941
- Canada in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman and Co, 1941
- Mexico in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman and Co, 1941
- West Indies in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman and Co, 1941
- Argentina in Story and Pictures, Albert Whitman and Co, 1943
- Brazil in Story and Pictures, Albert Whitman and Co, 1943
- Chile in Story and Pictures, Albert Whitman, 1943
- Panama in Story and Pictures, Whitman & Co, 1943
- Australia in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman, 1946
- Bermuda in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman and Co, 1946
- British Honduras in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman, 1946
- Dominican Republic in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman, 1946
- Hawaii in Story and Pictures (illustrated by Kurt Weise), Albert Whitman and Company, 1946
- New Zealand in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman, 1946
- Virgin Islands in Story and Pictures, A. Whitman and Co, 1946
Selected Titles At Your Library
Birds at home /
ISBN: 0528885790. OCLC Number: Rand McNally,. Chicago :. ©1972. Describes the habits and behavior and includes illustrations of twenty-one birds common to North America.
One man's horse /
ISBN: 0528820923. OCLC Number: Rand McNally,. Chicago :. ©1977. A fictionalized history of the life of the horse credited with fathering the standardbred line accompanied by a pictorial postlude of his ancestors and descendants.
Stormy, Misty's foal /
ISBN: 0689714874. OCLC Number: . . A foal, born in the aftermath of a great storm, and her famous mother help raise money to repair the storm damage on Chincoteague Island and restore the herds of wild ponies on Assateague Island.
White stallion of Lipizza /
ISBN: 188784029X. OCLC Number: Sonlight Curriculum,. Littleton, CO :. 1998. A baker's son, who dreams of becoming a riding master at Vienna's Spanish Court Riding School, is admitted as an apprentice and achieves his desire under the tutelage of both two-legged and four-legged masters.
Album of horses /
ISBN: 0689717091. OCLC Number: . . Describes the world of horses and the various breeds, including the American Saddle Horse, Tennessee Walking Horse, and Clydesdale.
Five o'clock Charlie /
ISBN: 0689718713. OCLC Number: Aladdin Paperbacks,. New York :. 1994. Charlie, a work horse, finds retirement boring until he discovers something new and important to do.
Misty's twilight /
ISBN: 0689803931. OCLC Number: Macmillan ;. New York :. ©1992. Captivated by the story of "Misty of Chincoteague," a woman with a horse farm in Florida raises one of Misty's descendants to become a champion show horse.
Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley /
ISBN: 0590515861. OCLC Number: Scholastic Inc.,. New York :. ©1996. Molly wants a horse of her own, but when her father's mare gives birth to a mule, Molly changes her mind and raises the newborn.
Our first pony /
ISBN: 0689810261. OCLC Number: Aladdin Paperbacks,. New York :. 1997. Twin brothers, Justin and Joey, buy and raise a pony of their own but when the pony foals they find themselves responsible for the care of a whole new pony family.
Benjamin West and his cat Grimalkin /
ISBN: 0970561806. OCLC Number: Bradford Press,. South Bend, Ind. :.  With his beloved black cat Grimalkin as his constant companion, the young Quaker boy Benjamin West discovers and develops his talent as an artist.
Brighty of the Grand Canyon /
ISBN: 0844671762. OCLC Number: Aladdin Paperbacks,. New York :. 1991. Relates the adventures of a little burro who blazed trails through the Grand Canyon and met many famous people in the process.
Justin Morgan had a horse /
ISBN: 0689852797. OCLC Number: Aladdin Books ;. New York :. 1991. An unusual work horse raised in Vermont and known originally as "Little Bub" becomes the sire of a famous American breed and takes the name of his owner, Justin Morgan.
Misty of Chincoteague /
ISBN: 1416927832. OCLC Number: Rand McNally,. Chicago :.  Paul and his sister Maureen's determination to own a pony from the herd on Chincoteague Island, Virginia, is greatly increased when the Phantom and her colt are among the ponies rounded up for the yearly auction.
King of the Wind /
ISBN: 1416927867. OCLC Number: . . Follows the adventures of the Arabian stallion brought to England to become one of the founding sires of the Thoroughbred breed and the mute Arab stable boy who tended him with loyalty and devotion all his life.
ISBN: 1416927840. OCLC Number: Rand McNally. Chicago,.  Tells about Paul and Maureen Beebe and a little orphan colt whose life they save. Grades 5-7.