Individual Author Record
Name: Finley Peter DunnePen Name: None Genre: Fiction Audience: Adult; Young Adult; Born: July 10, 1867 in Chicago, Illinois Died: April 24, 1936 in New York City, NY
-- Finley Peter Dunne on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=finley+peter+dunne
Illinois ConnectionDunne was born in, lived in and wrote about Chicago.
Biographical and Professional InformationDunne was a humorist and journalist. He was the creator of "Mr. Dooley", an Irish tavern-keeper and shrewd commentator on public events featured in Dunne's comic newspaper sketches at the turn of the century. Dunne started writing his Irish dialect sketches in 1892, first for the ''Chicago Evening Post'' and later for the ''Chicago Journal''. The sketches were syndicated nationally after 1898, and many of them were collected in books, beginning with ''Mr. Dooley in Peace and in War'' and ending with ''Mr. Dooley on Making a Will and other Necessary Evils''. Dunne was one of the first successful Irish-American writers.
- Mr. Dooley in Peace and War, , Classic Books, 1898
- Mr. Dooley in the Hearts of His Countrymen, 1899
- Mr. Dooley's Philosophy, 1900
- Mr. Dooley's Opinions, 1901
- Observations by Mr. Dooley, 1902
- Dissertations by Mr. Dooley, 1906
- Mr. Dooley Says, 1910
- Mr. Dooley on Making a Will and other Necessary Evils, Charles Scribner's Sons; 1st edition, 1919
Selected Titles At Your Library
Mr Dooley, wise and funny--we need him now /
ISBN: 0942936116. OCLC Number: Lincoln Herndon,. Springfield, Ill. :. ©1988.