Individual Author Record
Name: Harriet MonroePen Name: None Genre: Poetry Audience: Adult; Young Adult; Born: 1860 in Chicago, Illinois Died: 1936 in Arequipa, Peru
-- Harriet Monroe on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=harriet+monroe
Illinois ConnectionMonroe was born in Chicago and was a member of the Eagle's Nest Art Colony in Ogle County, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional InformationHarriet Monroe was an influential poet, editor, and publisher. In 1912, she founded "Poetry: A Magazine of Verse". This journal published and promoted many subsequently famous writers and poets incuding Ezra Pound, T.S. Eliot, Robert Frost, and Carl Sandburg. She was also a member of the Eagle's Nest Art Colony in Ogle County, Illinois. Upon her death, she bequethed her literary legacy to the University of Chicago and these are installed in a special room at Wieboldt Hall, the modern languages building at the university.
- Columbian Ode and Other Poems, Nabu Press, 2010
- Valeria and Other Poems 1892, Cornell University Press, 2009
- John Wellborn Root: A Study of His Life and Work, General Books LLC, 2010
- Five Modern Plays in Verse, BiblioBazaar, 2008
- Dance of the Seasons, Kessinger Publishing, 2007
- Poets and Their Art, MacMillan, 1926
- A Poets Life: Seventy Years in a Changing World, MacMillan, 1938
- Poet Lore, Nabu Press, 2010