Individual Author Record
Name: Herbert Lawrence BlockPen Name: Herblock, Herbert Block Genre: Editorial Cartooning Other Audience: Adult; Born: 1909 in Chicago, Illinois
-- Website -- Website:
-- Herbert Lawrence Block on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=herbert+lawrence+block
Illinois ConnectionBlock was born and raised in Chicago. He started taking art classes part-time at the Chicago Art Institute when he was 11 years old and attended Lake Forest College for two years.
Biographical and Professional InformationHerbert Block was an editorial cartoonist and author best known for his commentaries on national domestic and foreign policy. He began his career with the Chicago Daily News as an editorial-page cartoonist. After serving two years in the United States Army, he started working for the Washington Post in 1946. He adopted his "Herblock" signature when he was in high school and his career stretched nine decades.
- Herblock's Special Report, Norton, 1974
- Herblock on All Fronts, Plume, 1981
- Herblock Through the Looking Glass, Norton, 1984
- Herblock at Large: Let's go back a Little... and Other Cartoons with Commentary, Pantheon, 1987
- Herblock: A Cartoonist's Life, Macmillan, 1993
- Bella and Me: Life in the Service of a Cat, Bonus Books, 1995
- Herblock's History: Political Cartoons from the Crash to the Millenium, University of Michigan, 2000
Selected Titles At Your Library
Herblock on all fronts :
ISBN: 0452252660. OCLC Number: New American Library,. New York :. 1981.
ISBN: 0812930541. OCLC Number: Times Books,. New York :. ©1998.
Bella and me :
ISBN: 1566250528. OCLC Number: Bonus Books,. Chicago :. ©1995. Herb Block found her under a bush ... and his life was never the same. This is the story of Bella the cat, who took up residence with the famous cartoonist.