Individual Author Record
Name: Julius Nicholas HookPen Name: JN Hook Genre: Audience: Adult; Born: December 25, 1913 in Macoupin County, Illinois Died: 2005 in Kankakee, Illinois
-- Julius Nicholas Hook on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=julius+nicholas+hook
Illinois ConnectionHook was born in Macoupin county, was educated at the University of Illinois and also was a professor at the University of Illinois.
Biographical and Professional InformationJN Hook has authored and co-authored more than thirty textbooks on the English language. A former professor of English at the University of Illinois, Professor Hook’s first book for the general public was the critically acclaimed ''The Grand Panjandrum''. He was honored by the National Council of Teachers of English with the Wilbur Hatfield Award. An establshment of a research foundation was also presented in Hook's name.
- Illinois Authors and A Literary Map of Illinois, 1952
- Spelling 1500: A Program, HBJ College & School Division , 1965
- Writing Creatively, D C Heath & Co, 1967
- Competence in English: A Programmed Handbook With Diagnostic and Mastery Tests, Harcourt, 1967
- So what good is English?: A speech delivered as a Distinguished Lecturer for the National Council of Teachers of English , 1967
- What Every English Teacher Should Know,, National Council of Teachers of English, 1970
- Designs in English; A Collection of Essays, 1975
- The Grand Panjandrum: & 1999 Other Rare, Useful and Delightful Words and Expressions, Macmillan Pub Co, 1980
- The Appropriate Word; Finding the Best Way to Say What You Mean, 1990
- All Those Wonderful Names; A Potpourri of People, Places and Things'', 1991
Selected Titles At Your Library
The grand panjandrum :
ISBN: 0025536206. OCLC Number: . . And 1,999 other rare, useful and delightful words and expressions.