Individual Author Record
Name: Tom E. McGowenPen Name: Tom McGowen Genre: Audience: Adult; Young Adult; Children; Children; Born: 1927 in Evanston, Illinois Died: 2015 in Hoffman Estates, Illinois
-- Tom E. McGowen on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=tom+e.+mcgowen
Illinois ConnectionMcGowen was born in Evanston Illinois, grew up in Evanston and Chicago, moved to Norridge Illinois, raised a family and even wrote a book about Norridge titled ''Island within a City''. He lived in Norridge for over 55 years before moving to Hoffman Estates Illinois for the last 3 years of his life.
Biographical and Professional InformationTom McGowen is a children's and young adult books author. He worked in advertising in the Chicago, Illinois area until 1969. He then became a senior editor at World Book, Inc.
- The Only Glupmaker in the U.S. Navy, Albert Whitman, 1966
- The Apple Strudel Soldier, Follett, 1968
- Dragon Stew, Follett, 1969
- Last Voyage of the Unlucky Katie Marie, Albert Whitman, 1969
- The Biggest Toot in Toozelburg, Reilly & Lee, 1970
- Hammett and the Highlanders, Follett, 1970
- Sir Machinery, Follett, 1970
- The Fearless Fossil Hunters, Albert Whitman, 1971
- Album of Dinosaurs, Rand McNally, 1972
- Album of Prehistoric Animals, Rand McNally, 1974
- Odyssey from River Bend, Little, Brown, 1975
- Album of Prehistoric Man, Rand McNally, 1975
- The Spirit of the Wild, Little, Brown, 1976
- Album of Sharks, Rand McNally, 1977
- Album of Reptiles, Rand McNally, 1978
- Album of Astronomy, Rand McNally, 1979
- Album of Whales, Rand McNally, 1980
- Album of Rocks and Minerals, Rand McNally, 1981
- Encyclopedia of Legendary Creatures, Rand McNally, 1981
- Album of Birds, Rand McNally, 1982
- Album of Space Flight, Rand McNally, 1983
- Midway and Guadalcanal, Franklin Watts, 1984
- King's Quest, TSR, 1984
- War Gaming, Franklin Watts, 1985
- George Washington, Franklin Watts, 1986
- Radioactivity: From the Curies to the Atomic Age, Franklin Watts, 1986
- The Circulatory System: From Harvey to the Artificial Heart, Franklin Watts, 1987
- Chemistry: The Birth of a Science, Franklin Watts, 1988
- The Time of the Forest, Houghton, 1988
- Epilepsy, Franklin Watts, 1989
- The Great Monkey Trial: Science versus Fundamentalism in America, Franklin Watts, 1990
- The Shadow of Fomor, Lodestar, 1990
- The Korean War, Franklin Watts, 1992
- World War I, Franklin Watts, 1993
- World War II, Franklin Watts, 1993
- Lonely Eagles and Buffalo Soldiers: African-Americans in World War II, Franklin Watts, 1995
- Go for Broke: Japanese-Americans in World War II, Franklin Watts, 1995
- Yearbooks in Science: 1900-1919, Holt, 1995
- Yearbooks in Science: 1960-1969, Holt, 1995
- The Black Death, Franklin Watts, 1995
- Adventures in Archaeology, Twenty-First Books/Scientific American, 1997
- The Beginnings of Science, Twenty-First Century Books, 1998
- African-Americans in the Old West, Childrens Press, 1998
- The Battle for Iwo Jima, Childrens Press, 1999
- Germany's Lightning War: Panzer Divisions of World War II, Twenty-First Century Books, 1999
- Sink the Bismarck: Germany's Super-Battleship of World War II, Twenty-First Century Books, 1999
- Robespierre and the French Revolution in World History, Enslow, 2000
- Giant Stones and Earth Mounds, Millbrook Press, 2000
- Carrier War: Aircraft Carriers in World War II, Twenty-First Century Books, 2001
- Air Raid! The Bombing Campaigns of World War II, Twenty-First Century Books, 2001
- The Battle of Midway, Childrens Press, 2001
- Frederick the Great, Bismarck, and the Building of the German Empire in World History, Enslow, 2002
- The Battle of Cantigny, Childrens Press, 2002
- The Attack on Pearl Harbor, Childrens Press (Chicago, IL), 2002
- Assault from the Sky: Airborne Infantry of World War II, Twenty-First Century Books, 2002
- Assault from the Sea: Amphibious Invasions in the Twentieth Century, Twenty-First Century Books, 2002
- The Spanish-American War and Teddy Roosevelt in American History, Enslow, 2003
- The Alamo, Childrens Press, 2003
- The 1968 Democratic Convention, Childrens Press, 2003
- The Surrender at Appomattox, Childrens Press, 2004
- The Revolutionary War and George Washington's Army in American History, Enslow Publishers, 2004
- D-Day, Childrens Press, 2004
- Alexander the Great: Conqueror of the Ancient World, Enslow Publishers, 2006
- William the Conqueror: Last Invader of England, Enslow Publishers, 2008
- Jesse Bowman: A Union Boy's War Story, Enslow Publishers, 2008
- Space Race: The Mission, the Men, the Moon, Enslow Publishers, 2009'Armindor series:
- The Magician's Apprentice, Lodestar, 1987
- The Magician's Company, Lodestar, 1988
- The Magician's Challenge, Lodestar, 1989Age of Magic series:'
- The Magical Fellowship, Lodestar, 1991
- A Trial of Magic, Lodestar, 1992
- A Question of Magic'', Lodestar, 1993
Selected Titles At Your Library
The beginnings of science /
ISBN: 076133016X. OCLC Number: Twenty-First Century Books,. Brookfield, CT :. ©1998. Discusses the roots of science as developed by primitive people, Greek thinkers, Muslim scholars, and those responsible for the birth of the scientific method in Europe.
African-Americans in the Old West /
ISBN: 051626348X. OCLC Number: Children's Press,. New York :. ©1998. Describes the important role of freed slaves and other African-Americans in the settlement of the West.
Germany's lightning war :
ISBN: 076131511X. OCLC Number: Twenty-First Century Books,. Brookfield, Conn. :. ©1999. Discusses the development and actions of German tank units in World War II, covering specific battles and the changes that tanks brought to warfare in general.
Sink the Bismarck :
ISBN: 0761315101. OCLC Number: Twenty-First Century Books,. Brookfield, Conn. :. ©1999. Describes the actions of the German battleship "Bismarck" during World War II and the operations of the British navy to destroy this ship.
Robespierre and the French Revolution in world history /
ISBN: 0766013979. OCLC Number: Enslow Publishers,. Berkeley Heights, NJ, USA :. ©2000. Traces the history of the French Revolution from the storming of the Bastille through the rise of Napoleon, highlighting the influence of revolutionary leader, Maximilien Robespierre, from his early life through his involvement in the Reign of Terror.
Giant stones and earth mounds /
ISBN: 0585346828. OCLC Number: Millbrook Press,. Brookfield, Conn. :. 2000. Describes the mysterious standing stones and earth mounds which were built by Stone Age peoples and explores how and why they may have been built.
Carrier war :
ISBN: 0761318089. OCLC Number: Twenty-First Century Books,. Brookfield, Conn. :. ©2001. Describes the role of aircraft carriers in World War II, especially Japanese and American carriers in the Pacific.
Air raid :
ISBN: 0761318100. OCLC Number: Twenty-First Century Books,. Brookfield, Conn. :. ©2001. Describes the history of aerial bombing from the beginning of flight through the great campaigns of World War II.
The 1968 Democratic Convention /
ISBN: 0516242202. OCLC Number: Children's Press,. New York :. ©2003. Presents background information on the Cold War and the Vietnam war as context for events surrounding the Democratic Party Convention of 1968 in Chicago, Illinois, focusing on the street confrontations between police and activists during the convention.
The Battle of Midway /
ISBN: 0516220055. OCLC Number: Children's Press,. New York :. ©2001. Recounts the successful American battle to defend the Pacific Ocean naval base against a Japanese invasion and attempt to destroy the U.S. Pacific Fleet during World War II.
Alexander the Great :
ISBN: 0766025608. OCLC Number: Enslow Publishers,. Berkeley Heights, N.J. :. ©2006. Alexander the Great maintains his role as one of history's greatest leaders. Explores the life of the Macedonian warrior king, from his first battle at age 16 to his innovations in the ways of war to his incredible victories.
Space race :
ISBN: 0766029107. OCLC Number: Enslow Publishers,. Berkeley Heights, NJ :. 2009. "Discusses the United States' role in the space race in the 1960s, including the beginning of NASA, early space exploration, and the first moon landing by American astronauts"--Provided by publisher.
The battle for Iwo Jima /
ISBN: 0516264583. OCLC Number: Children's Press,. New York :. [1999?] Relates the events preceding, during, and after the battle for the tiny Japanese island of Iwo Jima, where American victory hastened the end of World War II.
The magicians' challenge /
ISBN: 0525672893. OCLC Number: Lodestar Books,. New York :. ©1989. The magician Armindor and his young apprentice Tigg travel south to their home city of Ingarron to continue humanity's battle against the intelligent ratlike creatures known as reen, who lurk in many of the world's cities and plan a bloody takeover. Sequel to "The Magician's Company."
Assault from the sea :
ISBN: 0761318119. OCLC Number: Twenty-First Century Books,. Brookfield, Conn. :. ©2002. Outlines the history and development of troop carrier ships and amphibious vehicles, and describes how landing forces were used in some of the major battles of the twentieth century.
The Alamo /
ISBN: 0531186849. OCLC Number: Children's Press,. New York :. , ©2003. Discusses historical events surrounding the Battle of the Alamo, including the roles played by Mexican General Santa Anna and Americans Stephen Austin, Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, and others.
Koren War /
ISBN: 0531156559. OCLC Number: Franklin Watts,. New York :. 1992. An overview of the three-year war that took over two million lives and resolved none of the conflicts that split Korea into two irreconcilable nations.
World War I /
ISBN: 0531156605. OCLC Number: F. Watts,. New York :. ©1993. Provides an overview of the military battles and political changes that occurred during World War I.
World War II /
ISBN: 0531156613. OCLC Number: F. Watts,. New York :. ©1993. Provides an overview of the military battles and political changes that occurred during World War II.
A trial of magic /
ISBN: 0525673768. OCLC Number: Lodestar Books,. New York :. ©1992. Having secured the aid of the wizards of the Dragons and the Little People in an effort to prevent the prophesied Earthdoom, Mulng and his son Lithim and the other magicians of Atlan Domain must face the fearsome opposition of a very powerful Alfar Master mage.
Jesse bowman :
ISBN: 159845384X. OCLC Number: Enslow Publishers,. [Place of publication not identified] :. 2012.