Individual Author Record
Name: Wendell MinorPen Name: None Genre: Audience: Adult; Young Adult; Children; Children; Born: 1944 in Aurora, Illinois
-- Website -- http://www.minorart.com/
-- Wendell Minor on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=wendell+minor
Illinois ConnectionMinor was born in Aurora, Illinois and lived in Kane County from 1944-1968.
Biographical and Professional InformationWendell Minor was born and raised in Illinois, where both his parents grew up on farms. By the time he was in fourth grade, Minor knew he wanted to be an artist. After graduating from Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida, Minor moved to New York City and began creating original designs for book publishers. In addition to picture books, Minor has created cover art and interior illustrations for novels for young people. He has also authored several of his own books, and in 2005, ''Christmas Tree!'', his first collaboration with his wife and business partner, Florence, was published. Minor’s children’s books reflect his love for the land and environment. Wendell and his wife currently reside in Washington, Connecticut.
- Books written and illustrated by Wendell Minor
- A Lucky Thing, Harcourt, 1999 - written by Alice Schertle
- Abe Lincoln Remembers, HarperCollins, 2001
- Abraham Lincoln Comes Home, Henry Holt, 2008
- America the Beautiful, Putnam, 2003 - written by Katharine Lee Bates
- Arctic Son, Hyperion, 1997
- Cat, What Is That?, HarperCollins, 2001
- Christmas Tree!, HarperCollins, 2005
- Cliff Hanger, HarperCollins, 2002
- Daylight Starlight Wildlife, Nancy Paulsen Books, 2015
- Edward Hopper Paints, Holt, 2014
- Everglades, HarperCollins, 1995
- Fire Storm, HarperCollins, 2003
- Galapagos George, HarperCollins, 2014
- Ghost Ship, Simon and Schuster, 2007
- Give Her the River, Atheneum, 2004 - written by Michael Dennis Browne
- Grand Canyon, Scholastic, 1998
- Grassroots, Harcourt, 1998 - written by Carl Sandburg
- Heartland, HarperCollins, 1989
- Henry Knox: Bookseller, Soldier, Patriot, Clarion, 2010 - written by Anita Silvey
- How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow, Nancy Paulsen Books, 2013
- How to be a Bigger Bunny, Katherine Tegen Books, 2017
- If You Spent a Day with Thoreau at Walden Pond, Holt, 2012
- If You Were a Panda Bear, Katherine Tegen Books, 2013
- If You Were a Penguin, HarperCollins, 2008
- Into the Woods, Atheneum, 2003
- Julie, HarperCollins, 1994
- Julie's Wolf Pack, HarperCollins, 1997
- Look to the Stars, Putnam, 2009
- LUCK: The Story of a Sandhill Crane, HarperCollins, 2006
- Magical Christmas Horse, Simon & Schuster, 2011
- Mojave, HarperCollins, 1988
- Morning, Noon, and Night, HarperCollins, 1999
- My Farm Friends, Putnam, 2011
- Nibble Nibble, HarperCollins, 2007 - written by Margaret Wise Brown
- Night Flight, Simon and Schuster, 2011
- Pumpkin Heads, Scholastic, 2000
- Rachel: The Story of Rachel Carson, Harcourt, 2003 - written by Amy Ehlrich
- Reaching for the Moon, Harper Collins, 2005
- Red Fox Running, Clarion, 1993
- Sequoia, Roaring Brook Press, 2014
- Shaker Hearts, HarperCollins, 1997
- Shane, Houghton Mifflin, 2001 - written by Jack Schaefer
- Sierra, HarperCollins 1991
- Sitting Bull Remembers, HarperCollins, 2007
- Sky Memories, Delacorte, 1998 - written by Pat Brisson
- Snow Bear, Hyperion, 2003
- Snowboard Twist, HarperCollins, 2004
- The Buffalo Are Back, Dutton, 2010
- The Call of the Wild, Scribner's, 1999 - written by Jack London
- The Eagles Are Back, Dial Books, 2013
- The Last Polar Bear, HarperCollins, 2009
- The Last Train, Roaring Brook Press, 2010 - written by Gordon Titcomb
- The Red Badge of Courage, Scribner, 2002 - written by Stephen Crane
- The Seashore Book, HarperCollins, 1992 - written by Charlotte Zolotow
- The Wolves Are Back, Dutton, 2008
- Trapped, Charlesbridge, 2015
- We Were There, Clarion,2001
- Yankee Doodle America: The Spirit of 1776 From A to Z'', Putnam, 2006
Illustrated books written by Ann TurnerIllustrated books written by Buzz AldrinIllustrated books written by Diane SiebertIllustrated books written by Eve BuntingIllustrated books written by Florence MinorIllustrated books written by Jean Craighead GeorgeIllustrated books written by Mary Higgins ClarkIllustrated books written by other authorsIllustrated books written by Robert BurleighIllustrated books written by Tony Johnston'
Titles At Your Library
Daylight Starlight Wildlife
ISBN: 0399246622 Nancy Paulsen Books. 2015 In amazingly lifelike, luminous paintings, Wendell Minor, one of America’s finest wildlife and landscape painters, reveals the variety of animals that surround us when we are awake and when we are sleeping.
Minor’s vivid introduction to diurnal (daytime) and nocturnal (nighttime) creatures invites readers to experience the movements, sounds, colors, and textures of nature. By day a red-tailed hawk soars through sky, and by night a barn owl silently swoops through it. In the daylight a family of fluffy cottontail rabbits hops into a field to forage for food, and under starlight a family of pink-nosed opossums does the same. As day turns to night and night to day, amazing critters large and small come and go. Children will enjoy comparing and contrasting the roaming habits of the wonderful wildlife that surrounds us.
How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow?
ISBN: 1101997818 Puffin Books. 2016 Award-winning artist Wendell Minor celebrates America's love for giant pumpkins alongside famous American landmarks and landscapes
Every year, giant pumpkin contests take place at fairs across the country—the 2012 record-holder weighed over a ton! The latest craze is to carve the most enormous pumpkins into racing boats. But what’s next? Why not think really big? Award-winning artist Wendell Minor does just that as he imagines larger-than-life pumpkins decorating some of America’s favorite places—as immense as the Capitol dome, Mount Rushmore, the Brooklyn Bridge, even the Grand Canyon! This celebration of famous landmarks and landscapes plays with concepts of size and scale and is full of fun facts.
"Minor illustrates this simple text with lush, rich paintings that portray resplendent autumn scenes...This visually stunning book is sure to be a favorite autumn read-aloud."—School Library Journal
"A marvelous example of the way seasonal books can enhance the excitement surrounding a holiday."—Booklist
My Farm Friends
ISBN: 0399257993 Nancy Paulsen Books. 2013 Here’s a perfect introduction to our farm friends. Is there anything cuter than a little lamb or playful piglet? Farm animals are fascinating, and they are full of surprises, too. Naturally, cows make milk—but did you know they need to drink a bathtub-full of water every day? And of course the turkeys gobble—but sometimes they purr like cats. Wendell Minor’s bright, bold artwork and jaunty verse celebrate the wonders of our farm friends.
Yankee Doodle America: The Spirit of 1776 from A to Z
ISBN: 0399240039 G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers. 2006 If you traveled the roads of colonial America, colorful hand-painted signs would greet you when you came across an inn or tavern, and inside, folks would be gathered to eagerly share the news of the day.Wendell Minor invites us on just such a journey through America in the days of its struggle for independence. Each striking illustration, painted on hand-carved replicas of these signs, introduces readers to the people, places and events that gave birth to our nation. Beginning with the Stamp Act that angered the patriots and inspired the "Sons of Liberty" to protest, readers meet George Washington (who gave his farewell speech to his soldiers at Fraunces Tavern), Thomas Jefferson (who penned the first draft of the Declaration of Independence at a Philadelphia tavern) and other historical figures, and learn about the documents and battles that keep the fight for freedom alive.
ISBN: 0590521381 Scholastic Paperbacks. 2007
A spooky display of Halloween tradition--now in Scholastic Bookshelf!
Celebrate Halloween with a pumpkin head! Wendell Minor presents a delightful range of glowing pumpkins, from cowboys to witches to snowmen. Kids and parents alike are in for a special Halloween treat.
Grand Canyon: Exploring a Natural Wonder
ISBN: 0590479687 Scholastic. 1998 Inspired by the work of early American artist-explorers, the multi-award-winning illustrator leads youngsters through the wonders of the Grand Canyon, recording his daily impressions of the famous South Rim in word and watercolor sketches.