Individual Author Record
Name: Josephine MilesPen Name: None Genre: Born: 1911 in Chicago, Illinois Died: 1985
-- Website -- http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/682
-- Josephine Miles on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=josephine++miles
Illinois ConnectionJosephine Miles was born in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional InformationAlthough born in Chicago, Josephine Milesmoved around a lot with her family, eventually relocating to Southern California. Due to a disabling arthritis, she was educated at home by tutors, but was able to graduate from Los Angeles High School in a class which included the composer John Cage.Miles attended the University of California, Los Angeles, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in English literature before moving to the University of California, Berkeley to pursue her doctorate. She remained in Berkeley for the rest of her life, receiving many highly-coveted fellowships and awards until her death in May 1985. She was the first woman to receive tenure in the English Department at Berkeley and, at the time of her death, held the position of University Professor, one of the rarest and most prestigious honors in academic life.
- Lines at Intersection, Macmillan, 1939
- Poems on Several Occasions, New Directions, 1941
- Local Measures, Reynal , 1946
- After This Sea, Book Club of California,1947
- Refabrications, Indiana University Press, 1955
- Poems, 1930-1960, Indiana University Press, 1960
- Civil Poems, Oyez Press, 1967
- Kinds of Affection, Wesleyan University Press, 1967
- Saving the Bay, Open Space, 1967
- Fields of Learning, Oyez Press, 1968
- American Poems, Cloud Marauder Press, 1970
- To All Appearances: New and Selected Poems, University of Illinois Press, 1974
- Coming to Terms, University of Illinois Press, 1979
- Collected Poems, 1930-1983, University of Illinois Press, 1983
- ''Ralph Waldo Emerson, University of Minnesota Press, 1964
Selected Titles At Your Library
To all appearances;
ISBN: 0252004434. OCLC Number: University of Illinois Press. Urbana,. 
Coming to terms :
ISBN: 0252007670. OCLC Number: University of Illinois Press,. Urbana :. ©1979.
Collected poems, 1930-83 /
ISBN: 0252010175. OCLC Number: University of Illinois Press,. Urbana :. ©1983.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.
ISBN: 0816603332. OCLC Number: University of Minnesota Press,. Minneapolis :. 1964. Annotation.