Individual Author Record
Name: Henry Justin SmithPen Name: None Genre: Fiction History Non-Fiction Other Audience: Adult; Born: 1875 in Chicago, Illinois
-- Henry Justin Smith on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=henry++justin+smith
Illinois ConnectionHenry Smith was a life long resident of Illinois. He attended the Morgan Park Military Academy and the University of Chicago.
Biographical and Professional InformationHenry Smith became a reporter for the Chicago Daily News in 1899. He advanced as the city editor from 1901-1906, the assistant managing editor from 1906-1913, and the news editor from 1913-1924. He left the Chicago Daily News from 1924-1926, serving as assistant to the president of the University of Chicago. In 1926 he returned as managing editor. He kept this post until his death from pneumonia on February 9, 1936. "In addition to his career as a newspaper man, Smith was also a historian and an author of fiction.
- The Other Side of the Wall, University of California Libraries , 1932
- Deadlines Being the Quaint, the Amusing, the Tragic Memoirs of a News-Room, Covici-McGee, 1923
- Chicago: (With Lloyd Lewis), Blue Ribbon Books, 1929
- Chicago's Great Century 1883-1993, Consolidated Publishers, 1933
- It's the Way It's Written Writing Versus Everything Else Genius on Newspaper Row, Sterling North of Chicago, 1934
- Oscar Wilde Discovers America (With Lloyd Lewis), Harcourt, Brace, and Company, 1936
- The Master of the Mayflower, Willett, Clark & Co, 1948