Individual Author Record
Name: James Dunlap NowlanPen Name: James D. Nowlan Genre: Non-Fiction Audience: Adult; Born: 1941 in Kewanee, lllinois
-- Website -- http://igpa.uillinois.edu/person/james-d-nowlan
-- James Dunlap Nowlan on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=james+dunlap+nowlan
Illinois ConnectionNowlan was born in Kewanee and now resides in Toulon. He received his B. A. , M. A. , and Ph. D. degrees in political science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Biographical and Professional InformationJames Nowlan has been an Illinois legislator, state agency director, statewide candidate and campaign manager for US senatorial and presidential candidtaes. He was elected to the Illinois House of Representatives in 1968 at age twenty-six. Four years later he was the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, running mate of Governor Richard B. Ogilvie. In 1978, he managed the successful re-election campaign of US Senator Charles H. Percy and the follwing year organized the national presidential campaign of US representative John B. Anderson. During the Governorship of James R. Thompson, Nowlan served in eight different capacities, including trouble-shooting state agency director (three times), special assiatnat for education, and executive director of a speical transition team that bridged the Governor's third and fourth terms. Nowlan received his PhD in political science from the University of Illinois at Urbana. A former community newspaper owner and publisher, Nowlan served as president of the Taxpayers' Federation of Illinois from 1991 - 1994. He is a senior fellow at the University of Illinois Institute of Government and Public Affairs and an adjunct professor of public policy at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois.
- The Politics of Higher Education, Lawmakers and the Academy in Illinois, University of Illinois Press, 1976
- Inside State Government in Illinois, A Primer for Illinois Managers, University of Illinois Press, 1982
- A New Game Plan for Illinois, Neltnor Press, 1989
- Illinois Politics and Government, The Expanding Metropolitan Frontier, University of Nebraska Press, 1996 - written with Samuel K. Gove
- The Itinerant, A Heartland Story, Conversation Press, Inc., 2000
- Glory, Darkness, Light, The Union League Club of Chicago, A History, Northwestern University Press, 2004
- The Editor's Wife, AuthorHouse, 2005
- Illinois Politics: A Citizen's Guide, University of Illinois Press, 2010 - written with Samuel K. Gove and Richard J. Winkel Jr.
- Fixing Illinois: Politics and Policy in the Prairie State, University of Illinois Press, 2014 - written with J. Thomas Johnson
Selected Titles At Your Library
The itinerant :
ISBN: 0963439561. OCLC Number: Conservation Press,. Winnetka, Ill. :. ©2000.
Glory, darkness, light :
ISBN: 0810115492. OCLC Number: Northwestern University Press,. Evanston, Ill. :. ©2004. "With roots dating back to the Civil War, the Union League Club of Chicago has grown, prospered, and suffered alongside its city. Glory, Darkness, Light: A History of the Union League Club of Chicago tells a story of how the Club and its members have built, squabbled with, and boosted their city for 125 years." "Drawing on interviews, oral histories, and extensive archives, Glory, Darkness, Light is both a grand city history and a revealing look at what goes on behind the brass plaque of a prestigious city club."--Jacket.
The editor's wife /
ISBN: 1420853996. OCLC Number: AuthorHouse,. Bloomington, Ind. :. ©2005.
Illinois politics :
ISBN: 0252077024. OCLC Number: University of Illinois Press :. Urbana, Ill. :. ©2010.
Fixing Illinois :
ISBN: 0252079965. OCLC Number: University of Illinois Press,. Urbana :. ©2014. Provides solutions to long-festering problems like out-of-control benefits spending, the pension debacle, high corporate tax rates, and the soaring cost of higher education.