Gordon Roger Alexander Buchanan Parks
Pen Name: Gordon Parks
Genres: Poetry, Photography
Born: November 30, 1912 in Fort Scott, Kansas
Deceased: March 7, 2006 in New York City, New York
Parks moved to Chicago at the urging of heavyweight boxing champion Joe Louis' wife. He lived there five years taking fashion photographs and documenting life in the slums of Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Parks was a groundbreaking American photographer, musician, poet, novelist, journalist, activist and film director. He is best remembered for his photo essays for Life magazine and as the director of the 1971 film Shaft.
- The Learning Tree, 1964
- A Choice of Weapons, 1967
- Voices in the Mirror, 1990
- Glimpses Toward Infinity, Little Brown & Company, 1996
- Half Past Autumn: A Retrospective, Bulfinch, 1998
- A Star for Noon : An Homage to Women in Images, Poetry and Music , Bulfinch, 2000
- A Hungry Heart, 2005
- Eyes with Winged Thoughts: Poems and Photographs , Atria, 2005
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Release Date: 1987-06-12
A Choice of Weapons
Release Date: 1986-08-01
Eyes with Winged Thoughts: Poems and Photographs
Release Date: 2005-11-01
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.