Elizabeth Gould Hearne
Pen Name: Betsy Hearne
Genre: Fiction-Children; Poetry
Born: 1942 in Wilsonville, Alabama
Hearne studied children's literature and folklore, got a Ph.D. at the University of Chicago's Graduate Library School, and became a professor. She lives in Urbana, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Betsy Hearne is former Director of The Center for Children's Books and a professor emerita in the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where she taught children's literature and storytelling for many years.
She is the author of numerous articles and books, including Choosing Books for Children: A Commonsense Guide, the folktale anthology Beauties and Beasts, fiction for both children and young adults, and picture books—one of which, Seven Brave Women, won the Jane Addams Children's Book Award. The former children's book editor of Booklist and of The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, she has reviewed books for almost forty years and contributes regularly to The Horn Book Magazine.
Hearne has been president of the United States chapter of the International Board on Books for Young People, and chair of the American Library Association’s Caldecott Award Committee. She received a National Teaching Award from the Association of Library and Information Science Education; the 2009 Anne Devereaux Jordan Award from the Children’s Literature Association; and from the University of Illinois, a University Scholar Award and a Graduate College Outstanding Mentor Award.
- South Star, Atheneum, 1977
- Home, Atheneum, 1979
- Choosing Books for Children, A Commonsense Guide, Delacorte, 1981
- Eli`s Ghost, Simon & Schuster, 1987
- Love Lines: Poetry in Person, MacMillan, 1987
- Beauty and the Beast: Visions and Revisions of an Old Tale, University of Chicago Press, 1989
- Polaroid and Other Poems of View, Macmillan, 1991
- Eliza`s Dog, Simon and Schuster, 1996
- Seven Brave Women, Greenwillow Books, 1997
- Listening for Leroy, Simon and Schuster, 1998
- Whose in the Hall, A Mystery in Four Chapters, Greenwillow, 2000
- Wishes, Kisses and Pigs, Simon & Schuster, 2001
- The Canine Connection, Stories About Dogs and People, Simon & Schuster, 2003
- Hauntings: and Other Tales of Danger, Love, and Sometimes Loss, HarperCollins, 2007
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Release Date: 1977-09-01
Release Date: 1987-03-31
Beauty and the Beast: Visions and Revisions of an Old Tale
Release Date: 1989-12-15
Release Date: 1991-03-30
Listening for Leroy
Release Date: 1998-11-01
Carl Sandburg award for Eli`s Ghost 1987
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.