Walter Braden Finney
Pen Name: Jack Finney
Genres: Fiction, Science Fiction
Born: 1911 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Deceased: 1995 in Greenbrae, California
Jack attended Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, graduating in 1934.
Biographical and Professional Information
When Finney was born he was given the name John Finney. After his father died when he was three years old, he was renamed Walter Braden Finney in honor of his father, but continued to be known as "Jack" throughout his life. After graduating from Knox College he married and moved to New York City and took a job in advertising. In the early 1950's he moved with his family to California to write.
Fnney's novel The Body Snatchers was the basis for the 1956 movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers (and its remakes). It tells the story of aliens who invade Earth by emerging from pods and taking over the bodies of humans.
Another novel, Assault on a Queen became a film with Frank Sinatra as the leader of a gang that pulls a daring robbery of the RMS Queen Mary.
- 5 Against the House, Doubleday, 1954
- The Body Snatchers, Gollancz , 2010 (Original Publication 1955)
- The House of Numbers, Dell, 1957
- Assualt on a Queen, Simon & Schuster, 1959
- Good Neighbor Sam, Simon & Schuster, 1963
- The Woodrow Wilson Dime, Simon & Schuster, 1968
- Time and Again, Scribner Paperback Fiction, 1995 (Original Publication 1970)
- Marion's Wall, Buccaneer Books, 1994 (Original Publication 1973)
- The Night People, Pocket Books, 1978
- From Time to Time, Scribner, 1996
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
5 Against The House
Release Date: 1954
Body Snatchers (S.F. Masterworks)
Release Date: 2010-10-01
The Woodrow Wilson Dime
Release Date: 1968
Time and Again
Release Date: 1995-02-01
Release Date: 1994-01-01
The Night People
Release Date: 1978-08-01
From Time to Time
Release Date: 1996-02-06
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.