Victor W. Pearn
Also writes as: Victor Pearn, Victor Wayne Pearn
Born in 1950 in Jacksonville, Illinois
Pearn was born in Jacksonville, Illinois and is a graduate of University of Illinois, Springfield.
Biographical and Professional Information
Pearn served in the US Marine Corps from 1969 - 1972. He received his a BA from the University of Illinois, Springfield and a MA in English Literature/Creative Writing at the University of Colorado in Boulder. He grew up in Jacksonville, Illinois and now lives in Boulder, Colorado.
Before writing Point Guard, his first novel, Victor wrote poetry exclusively.Pearn has twice been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for poetry, in 1994 for the chapbook Swans Pausing and last year for his most recent collection American Western Song, Poems from 1976 to 2001. Pearn's poems have been called "short, expressive, nostalgic and visual". American Western Song is an exploration of Pearn's experiences living in Colorado and going through Marine basic training during the Vietnam War.
A book review on Apricot Harvest, Pearn's latest book, from James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief, of Midwest Book Review.
Poetry expresses ourselves in many ways. “Apricot Harvest” is the twelfth book of poetry from Victor W. Pearn, longtime poetry enthusiastic and longtime teacher, bringing his passion and world travels together for his latest volume. A treat for poetry readers, “Apricot Harvest” shouldn’t be quickly overlooked, highly recommended. “An Ignorant Commune”: Have they eaten all the wild/animals on their land?/Are they/now trying to/eat all the insects?
- Blame it on the Lightning Bolt, MAF, 1989
- Swans Pausing, Foothills Publishing, 1994
- Pyromaniac, Plowman Press, 1995
- Dancing Bears, Poetry Forum, 1998
- American Western Song Poems from 1976-2001, Xlibris Corp., 2000
- Devil Dogs and Jar Heads, Busca, Inc., 2003
- point guard, Pearn & Associates, Inc., 2006
- Cryptozoology Poems, Foothills Publishing, 2006
- Postcard from Athens, Kindered Spirit Press, 2007
- Dream Season: My Brother Gary and the 1957 Ashland Panthers, Burning Daylight/Pearn Associates, Inc., 2011
- Light Across the Alley: The Story of a Young Matchmaker, Pearn & Associates, Inc., 2011
- Apricot Harvest, Indian Paintbrush Poets, 2012
- Cattails and Sagebrush, Indian Paintbrush Poets, 2013
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Devil Dogs and Jarheads
Release Date: 2003-02-01
Swans pausing: A book of poems
Release Date: 1994
Dream Season: My Brother Gary and the 1957 Ashland Panthers
Release Date: 2011-01-13
Light Across the Alley: The Story of a Young Matchmaker
Release Date: 2011-02-13
Apricot Harvest: Poems
Release Date: 2012-06-20
Cattails and Sagebrush
Release Date: 2013-08-16
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Please contact author at: 970-599-8924.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.