Pen Name: None
Born: May 20, 1965 in Columbus, Ohio
After receiving his MA, Allen moved to Chicago, where he worked as a reporter for Lerner Newspapers. He got his start in restaurant criticism in Chicago as one quarter of a bi-weekly group-review team called "The Famished Four," along with his boyfriend, Barry Rice, then the chain's entertainment editor, who initiated the concept.
Biographical and Professional Information
Ted Allen is an American writer and television personality. Emmy award winner Ted Allen is the host of three shows on Food Network: the long-running hit series “Chopped,” which received two James Beard Awards; the guide to classic foods across America, “Best. Ever.”; and a competition for amateurs, “All-Star Academy,” which debuted in March 2015. His latest cookbook, “In My Kitchen: 100 Recipes and Discoveries for Passionate Cooks,” (Clarkson-Potter), came out in May 2012. Since 1997, he has been a contributing writer for Esquire.
- Esquire's Things a Man Should Know About Marriage: A Groom's Guide to the Wedding and Beyond, Riverhead Books, 1999 - written with Scott Omelianuk
- Esquire's Things a Man Should Know About Style (Things a Man Should Know), Riverhead Books, 1999 - written with Scott Omelianuk
- Esquire Things a Man Should Know About Handshakes, White Lies and Which Fork Goes Where: Easy Business Etiquette for Complicated Times, Hearst, 2001 - written with Scott Omelianuk
- Esquire's Things a Man Should Know About Sex, Hearst, 2001 - written with Scott Omelianuk
- Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better, Clarkson Potter, 2004 - written with Kyan Douglas, Thom Filicia, Carson Kressley and Jai Rodriguez
- Esquire Things a Man Should Know About Work and Sex (and Some Things in Between), Hearst, 2005 - written with Scott Omelianuk
- The Food You Want to Eat, Clarkson Potter, 2005
- In My Kitchen: 100 Recipes and Discoveries for Passionate Cooks, Clarkson Potter, 2012
Titles at Your Library
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: Yes, contact Allen by writing:
c/o Creative Artists Agency
405 Lexington Ave., 19th Floor
New York, NY 10174
(212) 277-9000 phone
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.