Samuel Kimball Gove
Pen Name: Samuel K. Gove
Born: 1923 in Walpole Massachusetts
Gove lived in Urbana, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Gove is Director Emeritus of Illinois Government and Public Affairs and Professor Emeritus in the Department of Political Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He has been on the staff of the Institute of Government and Public Affairs since 1950, and was director in 1967-1985. He also was director of the Master of Arts in Public Administration program in the Department of Political Science. He is a fellow in the National Academy of Public Administration.
Professor Gove's main interest is the study of the politics of state and local government, especially in Illinois. He also has an interest in the politics of higher education. He has been active in constitutional revision in Illinois.
He has served as a member or on the staff of many governmental study commissions. He was one of the founders of Illinois Issues magazine and served as chairman of that board for over ten years. He directed the Legislative Staff Internship Program in Springfield for ten years.
- State Government Insurance Practices in Illinois, Instittue of Government and Public Affairs, 1952
- State and Local Governement in Illinois: A Bibliography, Institute of Governemtnand Public Affairs, 1953
- The Illinois Legislative Process, Institute of Government and Public Affairs, 1954 - written with Gilbert Y. Steiner
- Next Steps in Illinois Personnel Administration, Institute of Government and Public Affairs, 1955 - written with Thomas Page
- The Legislative Redistricts Illinois, Institute of Government and Public Affairs, 1956 - written with Gilbert Y. Steiner
- Illinois Votes, 1900-1958, Institute of Government and Public Affairs, 1959
- Legislative Politics in Illinois, University of Illinois, 1960 - written with Gilbert Y. Steiner
- American State and Local Government, Appleton Century Crofts, 1965 - written with C F Snider
- Reapportionment and the Cities, The Impact of Reapportionment on Urban Legislation in Illinois, Center for Research in Urban Government, 1968
- An Introduction to the Illinois General Assembly, Institute of Government and Public Affairs, 1968 - written with Richard J. Carlson
- Revision Success, The Sixth Constitutional Convention, National Municipal League, 1974 - written with Thomas R. Kitsos
- The Illinois Legislature, Structure and Process, University of Illinois Press, 1976 - written with Richard W. Carlson and Richard J. Carlson
- Illinois Politics and Government: The Expanding Metropolitan Frontier, University of Nebraska Press, 1996 - written with James D. Nowlan
- Illinois Politics: A Citizen's Guide, University of Illinois Press, 2010 - written with Samuel K. Gove and Richard J. Winkel Jr.
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Illinois legislative process, (University of Illinois bulletin)
Release Date: 1954
Revision success: The sixth Illinois constitutional convention (State constitutional convention studies)
Release Date: 1974
The Illinois Legislature: Structure and process
Release Date: 1976
Samuel was honored at the 1996 Illinois Authors Book Fair sponsored by the Illinois Center for the Book and the Illinois State Library in Springfield, Illinois.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.