Pen Name: None
Born: 1941 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Robert Hellenga lives in Galesburg, Illinois and teaches at Knox College.
Biographical and Professional Information
Hellenga was educated at the University of Michigan and Princeton University. He has been a professor of English literature at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, since 1968. He started writing fiction at Knox and published his first story in 1973 and his first novel (after 39 rejections) in 1994.
- The Sixteen Pleasures, Sceptre, 1995
- The Fall of the Sparrow, Scribner, 1998
- Blues Lessons: A Novel, Scribner, 2002
- Philosophy Made Simple: A Novel, Little, Brown and Company, 2006
- The Italian Lover, Little, Brown and Company, 2007
- Snakewoman of Little Egypt: A Novel, Bloomsbury, 2011
- The Confessions of Frances Godwin, Bloomsbury, 2014
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Sixteen Pleasures
Release Date: 1995
The Fall of a Sparrow
Release Date: 2000
Blues Lessons: A Novel
Release Date: 2003-01-07
The Italian Lover
Release Date: 2007-09-24
Snakewoman of Little Egypt: A Novel
Release Date: 2011-09-20
The Confessions of Frances Godwin: A Novel
Release Date: 2014-07-08
Society of Midland Author`s Award for Fiction in 1995. Illinois Art`s Council and PEN Syndicated Fiction Award.
Snakewoman was included in The Washington Post list of best books of 2010 and the Kirkus Reviews list of top 25 novels of 2010.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
425 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10017
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.