Pen Name: None
Born: 1951 in Chicago, Illinois
Rick Kogan grew up in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood and still lives in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Rick Kogan is a senior writer and columnist for Sidewalks at the Chicago Tribune. He is the author of a dozen books, including Sidewalks I and Sidewalks II , collections of his columns accompanied by the work of photographer Charles Osgood. Kogan is also creator and host of WGN Radio's Sunday Papers with Rick Kogan and host of Chicago Live!
The son of Chicago newspaperman and author Herman Kogan, he was raised in the city’s Old Town neighborhood and wrote his first story for the Chicago Sun-Times at age 16. His first book was Dr. Night Life, and his recent books include America’s Mom: The Life, Lessons, and Everybody Pays with co-author Maurice Possley. Kogan was a longtime friend and editor of Ann Landers for the last five years of her life and wrote America`s Mom, The Life, Lessons and Legacy of Ann Landers.
- Dr. Night Life, Chicago Review Press, 1979
- Sabers and Suites, The story of Chicago's Ambassador East, RR Donnelley & Sons Publishers, 1983
- Brunswick: The Story of an American Company from 1845 to 1985, Brunswick Corporation, 1985
- Teamwork: The History of Wells Manufacturing Company, Wells Manufacturing Company, 1987
- Everybody Pays, Two Men, One Murder and the Price of Truth, Putnam Publishing Group, 2000 - written with Maurice Possley
- America`s Mom, The Life, Lessons and Legacy of Ann Landers, Harper Collins Publishers, 2003
- AMER MOM, Harper Paperbacks, 2005
- A Chicago Tavern: a goat, a curse and the American Dream- The history of the Billy Goat, Lake Claremont, 2006
- Sidewalks: Portraits of Chicago, Northwestern University, 2008 - written with Charles Osgood
- Sidewalks II: Reflections on Chicago, Sidewalks Book Company, 2009 - written with Charles Osgood
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Dr. Night Life
Release Date: 1979
Teamwork: The history of Wells Manufacturing Company
Release Date: 1987
Release Date: 2002-12-03
America's Mom: The Life, Letters, and Legacy of Ann Lan
Release Date: 2009-10-13
Release Date: 2005
A Chicago Tavern: A Goat, a Curse, and the American Dream.
Release Date: 2006-10-12
Sidewalks: Portraits of Chicago
Release Date: 2008-04-01
Sidewalks II: Reflections on Chicago
Release Date: 2009-10-15
- Chicago's Best Reporter in 1999
- Chicago's Greatest Living Journalist in 2002
- Inducted into the Chicago Journalism Hall of Fame in March 2003
- Rick Kogan was honored at the 2004 Illinois Authors Book Fair sponsored by the Illinois Center for the Book and the Illinois State Library in Springfield, Illinois.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.