Celebrated on the Illinois State Library Gwendolyn Brooks Building
Pen Name: Paul M Angle, Paul McClelland Angle
Born: 1900 in Mansfield, Ohio
Died: 1975 in Chicago, Illinois
Angle lived in Chicago and Springfield.
Biographical and Professional Information
Paul Angle was an eloquent chronicler of Illinois history and a Lincoln Scholar. He was the author of scores of books on Abraham Lincoln and the history of Illinois.
He graduated from Miami (Ohio) University in 1922 and received a master's degree from the University of Illinois in 1924. In 1932, Angle was appointed librarian of the Illinois Historical Library and held that position, and that of state historian, until 1945. He then became director and secretary of the Chicago Historical Society from 1945 - 1965.
He was active for many years in Chicago civic affairs. In 1967, he was appointed by Chicago's Mayor Daley to head an advisory committee to study what city records should be preserved.
Along with the books he wrote, Angle also edited several books including: The Lincoln Reader , The Complete Lincoln-Douglas Debates of 1858, The Living Lincoln: The Man and His Times In His Own Words, Abraham Lincoln's Speeches and Letters, 1832-1865.
- Here I Have Lived: A History of Lincoln's Springfield, 1935
- Bloody Williamson: A Chapter in American Lawlessness, University of Illinois Press , 1952
- By These Words: Great Documents of American Liberty, Rand McNally & Company, 1954
- The American Reader , Rand McNally , 1958
- Tragic Years: 1860-1865 A Documentary History of the American Civil War, Simon & Schuster, 1960
- A Pictorial History of the Civil War Years, Doubleday & Company, 1967
- Praire State:Impressions of Illinois, 1673-1967, By Travelers and Other Observers, 1968
- Philip K. Wrigley: A Memoir of a Modest Man, Rand McNally, 1975
Titles at Your Library
- Name engraved on the frieze of the Illinois State Library alongside other great Illinois literary figures, 1990
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.