Pen Name: Patricia J. Murphy
Born: 1966 in Chicago, Illinois
Murphy lives in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Patricia Murphy is an award-winning children’s writer, author and poet. She is also a communications and marketing consultant, copywriter, and founder/ chief creative officer of Pattycake Productions, a creative services agency.
She is the author of over 150 children's books, hundreds of magazine articles and a growing list of scripts for children's television.
In addition to writing full-time, she viits schools and libraries and offers a variety of writing workshops to isnprire and motivate young readers/writers. In the Speaking Engagments section, you will find a small sampling of her hands-on, interactive workshops.
- Back and Forth, Children's Press, 2002
- Denmark, Capstone Press, 2002
- Push and Pull, Children's Press, 2002
- Election Day, Scholastic Library Publications, 2002
- Prairie Dogs, Pebble Books, 2003
- I Need You, Scholastic Library Publications, 2003 - written with Laura J. Bryant
- Hearing, Scholastic Library Publications, 2003
- Badgers, Pebble Books, 2004
- Grace Hopper: Computer Whiz, Enslow Elementary, 2004
- Garrett Morgan: Inventor of the Traffic Light and Gas Mask, Enslow Publishers, Inc., 2004
- Exploring Space with an Astronaut, Enslow Publishers, Inc., 2004
- Why Does the Moon Change Its Shape?, Rosen Classroom, 2005
- Nigeria, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books, 2005
- Earning Money, Lerner Publishing Group, 2005
- Red Foxes, Capstone Press, 2006
- Staying Happy, Lerner Classroom, 2006
- Avoiding Drugs, Lerner Publishing Group, 2006
- Telling Time, DK Children, 2007
- Telling Time With Puppies And Kittens, Enslow Elementary, 2007
- Death, Trans-Atlantic Publications, 2007
- Counting Puppies and Kittens, Enslow Publishers, Inc., 2007
- Adding Puppies and Kittens, Enslow Publications, Inc., 2007
- Discovering Underwater Secrets, Enslow Publications, Inc., 2007
- Measuring Puppies And Kittens, Enslow Elementary, 2007
- Subtracting Puppies And Kittens, Enslow Elementary, 2007
- Journey of a Pioneer, DK Publishing, Inc., 2008
- Let's Play Soccer, DK Publishing, Inc., 2008
- How Does the Wind Blow?, Benchmark Books, 2008
- Never Eat Soggy Waffles: Fun Mnemonic Memory Tricks, Enslow Publishers, 2009
- Bugs and Us, DK Publishing, Inc., 2012
- Horse Club, DK Publishing, Inc., 2013
- Hope for the Elephants, DK Publishing, Inc., 2014
Titles at Your Library
Election Day (Rookie Read-About Holidays)
Release Date: 2002-11
I Need You (Rookie Readers Level B)
Release Date: 2003-03-01
Badgers (Grassland Animals)
Release Date: 2004-01-01
Garrett Morgan: Inventor of the Traffic Light and Gas Mask (Famous Inventors)
Release Date: 2004-08-01
Exploring Space with an Astronaut (I Like Science!)
Release Date: 2004-04-01
Avoiding Drugs (Pull Ahead Books-Health)
Release Date: 2006-01-01
DK Readers: Telling Time (DK Reader - Level 2 (Quality))
Release Date: 2007-07-02
Counting Puppies and Kittens (Puppy and Kitten Math)
Release Date: 2007-02-01
Adding Puppies and Kittens (Puppy and Kitten Math)
Release Date: 2007-02-01
Discovering Underwater Secrets with a Nature Photographer (I Like Science!)
Release Date: 2007-06-30
Subtracting Puppies and Kittens (Puppy and Kitten Math)
Release Date: 2007-04-01
DK Readers L2: Journey of a Pioneer
Release Date: 2008-08-18
How Does the Wind Blow? (Tell Me Why, Tell Me How)
Release Date: 2008-04-01
Never Eat Soggy Waffles: Fun Mnemonic Memory Tricks (Prime)
Release Date: 2009-02-01
DK Readers L1: Bugs and Us
Release Date: 2012-05-21
DK Adventures: Horse Club
Release Date: 2013-12-23
DK Readers L3: Hope for the Elephants
Release Date: 2014-12-15
Bugs and Us
- 2013 ILLINOIS READS Book
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library Selection
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Murphy hosts a variety of workshops. Just a small sampling are listed here. Please feel free to contact the author for additional information and workshop ideas.
- EVERYWHERE Ideas: Discover the hows, ways and whys to grab great ideas for stories, non-fiction and poetry - and learn what to do with them when you have them!
- POW-WOW-ER-FUL Words: Explore what POW-WOW-ER-FUL words are, where to find + store them, and how to use them to create lasting images in readers' minds.
- Ten Habits of Successful Writers: Learn ten habits that ALL successful writers practice - and start incorporating them today!
- Writing from the Inside Out: Uncover how you can (and must) use your lfe experiences, gift these to your writing - and truly LIVE!
- Writing WHAT YOU WANT + NEED TO KNOW: Find out how to become an expert on ANYTHING you want (and need) to know through research, interviewing, first-hand experience and then write about it!
- Truth is STRANGER than Fiction: Mark Twain was right. Truth is stranger than fiction - and a whole lot of fun to write! Find out how to research and create the most creative non-fiction ever!
- Writing that Matters: Learn to use the "power of the pen" to change your life, your readers' lives - and the world!
- Journey of a Pioneer: Head your covered wagons westward along the Oregon Trail through Patricia's book Journey of a Pioneer and discover ways to write about your own journeys!
- Writing all Summer Long: Discover sure-fire ways to start, keep, and stay writing through the lazy days of summer - and other vacations, too.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.