Pamela J. Farris
Pen Name: P.J. Farris
Born in: Terre Haute, Indiana
Dr. Pamela J. Farris is Professor of Literacy at Illinois State University in the School of Teaching and Learning.
Biographical and Professional Information
Author and Educator, Farris is included in the Illinois Reading Hall of Fame, and received IRA s Arbuthnot Award for Outstanding Professor of Children s Literature in 2012. She has written articles and books on the teaching of social studies, and is also the author of Crossover Dribble, a middle-grade novel. She wrote Presidents from the Prairie State because each of these four men had humble beginnings, overcoming incredible odds to become President of the United States.
Dr. Farris is actively involved in numerous professional associations, including the Association for Curriculum and Supervision, the Children's Literature Assembly, Delta Kappa Gamma, the International Reading Association, the National Council of Teachers of English, Phi Delta Kappa and the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.
Farris has published widely in the areas of literacy and teacher education. A former elementary teacher, she is recognized for her ability to put theory into practice.
Before becoming a Professor of Literacy at Illinois State University in the School of Teaching and Learning, Farris was a presidential teaching professor in the College of Education at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois. Dr. Farris went to NIU after receiving her doctorate at Indiana State University in 1980.
- Young Mouse and Elephant, An East African Folktale, School and Library Binding, 1996
- Teaching Bearing the Torch, Brown and Benchmark, 1997
- Elementary and Middle School Social Studies, McGraw-Hill, 2000
- Teaching Reading: A Balanced Approach for Today's Classrooms, McGraw-Hill Humanities, 2002
- Language Arts: Process, Product, and Assessment, Waveland Press, 2004
- Crossover Dribble, Mayhaven Publishing, 2007
- Language Arts: Process, Product, and Assessment for Diverse Classrooms,Waveland Press Inc, 2010 - written with Donna E. Werderich
- Presidents from the Prairie State: Lincoln Grant Reagan Obama, 2012
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Young Mouse and Elephant
Release Date: 1996-03-03
Elementary and Middle School Social Studies: An Interdisciplinary, Multicultural Approach
Release Date: 2007-03-01
Language Arts: Process, Product, and Assessment
Release Date: 2004-08-01
Release Date: 2007-11-08
Language Arts: Process, Product, and Assessment for Diverse Classrooms
Release Date: 2010-09-10
Presidents From the Prairie State
Release Date: 2013-01-01
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.