Michael Van Walleghen
Pen Name: None
Born: 1938 in Detroit, Michigan
Van Walleghen lived in the Champaign area.
Biographical and Professional Information
Michael Van Walleghen is a poet. He began his academic career at Wichita State University. He was also a Professor of English at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and was the first director of the MFA in Creative Writing program created in 2003.
His poems have appeared in The Gettysburg Review, The Hudson Review, The Kenyon Review, Southern Review, and other highly respected journals.
- The Wichita Poems, University of Illinois Press, 1975
- More Trouble with the Obvious, University of Illinois Press, 1981
- Blue Tango: Poems, University of Illinois Press, 1989
- Tall Birds Stalking, University of Pittsburgh Press, 1994
- The Last Neanderthal, University of Pittsburgh Press, 1999
- In the Black Window, Poems, New and Selected, University of Illinois Press, 2004
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
THE WICHITA POEMS
Release Date: 1975-10-01
More Trouble with the Obvious: Poems
Release Date: 1981-04-01
Tall Birds Stalking (Pitt Poetry Series)
Release Date: 1994-06
The Last Neanderthal (Pitt Poetry Series)
Release Date: 1999-03
In the Black Window: NEW AND SELECTED POEMS (Illinois Poetry Series)
Release Date: 2004-05-12
Lamont Poetry Prize of the Academy of American Poets for More Trouble with the Obvious, 1981
Borestone Mountain Poetry Award
Received two National Endowment for the Arts fellowships
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.