Pen Name: None
Genre: Mystery, Fiction
Born: 1947 in Chicago, Illinois
Raleigh is a lifelong Chicagoan. He grew up on the north side of Chicago, spending the first 11 years in the neighborhood around old Riverview amusement park, a neighborhood that is the setting for his novel In the Castle of the Flynns. The family later moved to the area now called Wrigleyville. Michael attended DePaul Academy for high school, and then attended DePaul University, where he received a bachelor of arts degree, majoring in English literature, with a minor in American history.
Biographical and Professional Information
The author of eight novels, Raleigh has received four Illinois Arts Council awards for fiction. He is an emeritus professor of English and History of the City Colleges, currently teaching at DePaul.
- Death in Uptown, St. Martin`s Press, 1991
- A Body in Belmont Harbor, St. Martin`s Press, 1993
- The Maxwell Street Blues, St. Martin`s Press, 1994
- Killer on Argyle Street, St. Martin`s Press, 1995
- The Riverview Murders, St. Martin`s Press, 1997
- In the Castle of the Flynns, Sourcebooks, 2002
- The Blue Moon Circus, Sourcebooks, 2003
- The Conjurer's Boy, Harvard Square Editions, 2012
- Peerless Detective, Diversion Books, 2015
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Fellow of Illinois Arts Council 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1989
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Raleigh has given programs on all aspects of writing fiction, finding an agent, dealing with publishers and surviving the creative process in one piece. As a former instructor of Chicago History at Truman College, he has also given talks on little-known features of life in Chicago in the 1800s and on the Great Chicago Fire.
Agent - Danielle Egan-Miller
Browne Multimedia Product Development, Inc.
410 S. Michigan Ave., Room 724
Chicago, Illinois 60605
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.