Leone Castell Anderson
Pen Name: None
Genre: Fiction & Poetry
Born: Los Angeles, California
Leone lives in Stockton, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Leone Castell Anderson is a former copywriter, book store owner and librarian. She is the author of several picture books, which include: Moving Day, My Own Grandpa and The Wonderful Shrinking Shirt. Sean's War and Sean's Quest are middle-grade historical novels set in the 1832 era of the Black Hawk War. The cover illustrations for both of these books were created by Leone's husband, J. Eric, a watercolor artist.
She also has written many magazine stories that have appeared in Highlights for Children and Cricket Magazine, some of which have been reprinted in textbooks.
- It's O.K. to cry (Handling difficult times), Children's Press, 1979
- Learning About Towers and Dungeons, The Child's World, 1982
- The Wonderful Shrinking Shirt, Albert Whitman, 1983
- My Friend Next Door, Scripture Press, 1983
- The Good-By Day, Golden Books, 1984
- Christmas Handbook, Child`s World, 1984
- Surprise at Muddy Creek, Scripture Press, 1984
- My Own Grandpa, Golden Books, 1987
- Moving Day (A reprint of The Good-By Day), Golden Books, 1987
- How come You`re So Shy?, Golden Books, 1987
- Sean`s War, ShadowPlay Press, 1998
- Sean`s Quest, ShadowPlay Press, 2002
Titles at Your Library
The Wonderful Shrinking Shirt
Release Date: 1983-09-01
Surprise at Muddy Creek (Making Choices)
Release Date: 1990-09-01
The good-by day (A Little golden book)
Release Date: 1984
How Come You're So Shy? (Big Little Golden Books)
Release Date: 1987-08-01
- Why LeRoy Smiled- Highlights for Children- First Place 1989;
- What's That Sound? Florida Writers Picture Book Competition- First place 1993
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: Yes, contact Editor:
Sheila Welch @ ShadowPlay Press
P.O. Box 647
7289 Columbine Rd.
Forreston, IL 61030
Leone's writing workshops/talks for children can be adapted to varying age groups and include:
- The Birth of a Book - how her books "happen"
- Digging for Treasure - how she researches her historical novels
- What Was It Like? - a sharing of what life was like 175 years ago through readings from her novels
- Sensing the Magic - a hands-on workshop, learning the magic of using your senses
Leone's fee is negotiable and usually run $200 per presentation or $500 for an all-day visit which includes four classes.
Leone has presented many Young Author programs and has given talks and workshops at schools/libraries. She also gives programs for teachers, librarians and other adult groups.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.