Pen Name: None
Genres: Non-Fiction, Poetry
Born: 1940 in Chicago, Illinois
Grahn was born in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Judy Grahn is an internationally known poet, writer, and social theorist. Her work is associated with several movements, including Gay, Lesbian, and Queer; Feminist/Woman-Centered; and Women's Spirituality.
Born in Chicago, Grahn grew up in New Mexico. Seeking options not available in her small-town community of origin, she broke away and joined the Air Force. She was given a “blue discharge” (named for the blue paper on which these letters were printed) from the Air Force because she was a lesbian. This experience galvanized Grahn into public ownership of her lesbianism, into the writing of poetry, into lesbian activism, and into the project of publishing lesbian literature.
In 1969, Grahn co-founded the Women’s Press Collective in Oakland, California. The WPC published the work of Grahn and other lesbians. The WPC edition of Grahn’s book Edward the Dyke and Other Poems appeared in 1971. Other poetry collections include The Common Woman (1969), A Woman is Talking to Death (1974), The Queen of Swords (1987), and Love Belongs to Those Who Do the Feeling (2009). Aunt Lute published a collection of Grahn's work in 2009, The Judy Grahn Reader.
In addition to her poetry, Grahn has written extensively of what it means to be a lesbian and a lesbian writer in books including Another Mother Tongue: Gay Words, Gay Worlds, and Blood, Bread and Roses: How Menstruation Created the World. In 1989, she edited Really Reading Gertrude Stein.
- Queen of Wands, Crossing Press, 1982
- Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn 1964-1977, Crossing Press , 1984
- Another Mother Tongue: Gay Words, Gay Worlds, Beacon Press, 1984
- The Queen of Swords, Beacon Press, 1987
- Blood Bread and Roses: How Menstruation Created the World, Beacon Press, 1993
- Love Belongs to Those Who do the Feeling, Red Hen Press, 2008
- The Judy Grahn Reader, Aunt Lute Books , 2009
- A Simple Revolution , Aunt Lute Books, 2012
Titles at Your Library
Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn 1964-1977
Release Date: 1984-06
Another Mother Tongue: Gay Words, Gay Worlds
Release Date: 1990-10-31
love belongs to those who do the feeling
Release Date: 2008-10-15
The Judy Grahn Reader
Release Date: 2009-07-01
A Simple Revolution: The Making of an Activist Poet
Release Date: 2012-11-27
Queen of Wands
- American Book Award
The Publishing Triangle
- Bill Whitehead Lifetime Achievement Award
Really Reading Gertrude Stein
- Lambda Literary Award for Best Book of Lesbian Memoir/Biography, 2013
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (No)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.