Joseph P. Schwieterman
Pen Name: None
Genres: Non-Fiction, History
Schwieterman lives in the south suburbs.
Biographical and Professional Information
Joseph P. Schwieterman is a nationally known authority on air, bus, and train travel. He has spent more than three decades studying the country's ever-changing transportation system. A professor in the School of Public Service, he is also the Director of the Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development at DePaul University. Since joining the School of Public Service at DePaul, he has built strong links to area transportation organizations and works closely with DePaul's Real Estate Center.
He holds a masters of transportation from Northwestern University and Ph.D. in public policy studies at the University of Chicago. Schwieterman is president of the Chicago chapter of the Transportation Research Forum and a member of the Midway Historians, Shore Line Interurban Historical Society, and Midwest High Speed Rail Association. He is a memeber of the Amercian Planning Association and a regular on WBBM News Radio 780 (CBS) and National Public Radio.
- Air Cargo and the Opening of China, Chinese University Press, 1993
- Voices From the Past, Visions for the Future, Chadwick Institute, 2000
- Shaping Contemporary Suburbia, Law Bulletin Publishing, 2001
- When the Railroad Leaves Town: American Communities in the Age of Rail Line Abandonment, Eastern United States, Truman State , 2004
- When the Railroad Leaves Town: American Communities in the Age of Rail Line Abandonment--Western U.S., Truman State, 2004
- The Politics of Place: A History of Zoning in Chicago, Lake Claremont Press, 2006 - written with Dana M. Caspall, reprinted by Southern Illinois University Press, 2016
- Beyond Burnham: An Illustrated History of Planning for the Chicago Region, Lake Forest College Press, 2009
- Terminal Town: An Illustrated Guide to Chicago's Airports, Bus Depots, Train Stations, and Steamship Landings, 1939 - Present, Lake Forest College Press, 2014
Titles at Your Library
Air Cargo & the Opening of China: New Opportunities for Hong Kong (Friedman Lecture Fund Monograph)
Release Date: 1993-06
Voices from the Past, Visions for the Future : A Modern Assessment of Harry F. Chaddick's 18 Essential Planning Ideas for Chicago
Release Date: 2000-04-01
When the Railroad Leaves Town: American Communities in the Age of Rail Line Abandonment--Western U.S.
Release Date: 2004-09-01
The Politics of Place: A History of Zoning in Chicago (Illinois)
Release Date: 2006-02-01
Beyond Burnham: An Illustrated History of Planning for the Chicago Region
Release Date: 2009-09-01
Terminal Town: An Illustrated Guide to Chicago's Airports, Bus Depots, Train Stations, and Steamship Landings, 1939 - Present
Release Date: 2014-09-15
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.