John Maxwell Coetzee
Pen Name: J.M. Coetzee
Genres: Fiction, Non-Fiction
Born: 1940 in Cape Town, South Africa
Coetzee was a member of the Committee on Social Thought, at the University of Chicago, for six years. His tenure ended in 2003.
Biographical and Professional Information
Coetzee entered the University of Cape Town in 1957, and in 1960 and 1961 graduated successively with honours degrees in English and mathematics. He spent the years 1962–65 in England, working as a computer programmer while doing research for a thesis on the English novelist Ford Madox Ford. In 1968 he graduated from the University of Texas with a PhD in English, linguistics, and Germanic Languages.
Coetzee's published work consists of fiction, fictionalised autobiographies (which he terms "autrebiography"), and non-fiction.
In 2003 he won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
- In the Heart of the Country: A Novel, Penguin, 1982
- Foe, Penguin, 1988
- Age of Iron, Penguin, 1998
- The Lives of Animals, Princeton University Press , 2001
- Stranger Shores: Literary Essays, Penguin, 2002
- Youth: Scenes from Provincial Life II , Penguin, 2003
- Elizabeth Costello, Penguin, 2004
- Disgrace: A Novel, Penguin, 2008
- Waiting for the Barbarians: A Novel, Penguin, 2010
- Summertime: A Novel, Penguin, 2010
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
In the Heart of the Country: A Novel
Release Date: 1982-10-28
Release Date: 1988-01-05
Age of Iron
Release Date: 1998-09-01
The Lives of Animals (The University Center for Human Values Series)
Release Date: 2001-07-01
Stranger Shores: Literary Essays
Release Date: 2002-08-27
Youth: Scenes from Provincial Life II
Release Date: 2003-10-07
Disgrace: A Novel
Release Date: 2008-08-27
Waiting for the Barbarians: A Novel (Penguin Ink)
Release Date: 2010-06-29
Release Date: 2010-10-26
- Booker Prize, Life and Times of Michael K
- Booker Prize, Disgrace
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (No)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.