John Carroll Power
Pen Name: None
Born: 1819 in Fleming County, Kentucky
Deceased: 1894 in Springfield, Illinois
After failed attempts at farming in Kansas, Power moved to Springfield and lived there the rest of his life.
Biographical and Professional Information
John Carroll Power was a historian and was named the first custodian at the National Lincoln Monument in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Springfield, Illinois by the Lincoln Monument Association. He served in this capacity from 1874 until his death in 1894. He worked with detectives to help to foil the plot of a gang of counterfeiters to steal President Lincoln's body the evening of November 7, 1876. Later, Power and his associates formed the "Lincoln Guard of Honor", an organization formed both for public ceremonies at Lincoln's tomb and for protecting the remains of the President and his family.
- The History of Early Settlers of Sangamon County, Illinois, Windmill Publications, 1876 - written with Sarah A. Harris Power
- Abraham Lincoln: His Life, Public Services, Death And Great Funeral Cortege; With A History And Description Of The National Lincoln Monument,
- History of an Attempt to Steal the Body of Abraham Lincoln, Late President of the United States of America, Including a History of the Lincoln Guard, With Eight Years Lincoln Memorial services, H. W. Rokker, 1890
- Abraham Lincoln: His Great Funeral Cortege, From Washington City To Springfield, Illinois : With A History And Description Of The National Lincoln Monument
- Abraham Lincoln: His Life, Public Services, Death And Great Funeral Cortege : With A History And Description Of The National Lincoln Monument,
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Abraham Lincoln: His Life, Public Services, Death And Great Funeral Cortege; With A History And Description Of The National Lincoln Monument
Release Date: 2007-09-13
History of an attempt to steal the body of Abraham Lincoln, late president of the United States of America, including a history of the Lincoln Guard ... with eight years Lincoln memorial services
Release Date: 2011-08-25
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.