Jeffrey Renard Allen
Pen Name: None
Allen was born and raised in Chicago. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Jeffery Renard Allen is a poet, essayist, short story writer, and novelist. Raised on the south side of Chicago, he now lives in New York and teaches at Queens College and in the writing program at the New School.
- Harbors and Spirits, Moyer Bell, 1999
- Rails Under My Back, Harvest Books, 2000
- Stellar Places, Asphodel Press, 2007
- Holding Pattern, Graywolf Press, 2008
- Song of the Shank, Graywolf Press, 2014
Titles at Your Library
Rails Under My Back
- Heartland Prize for Fiction, Chicago Tribune
- Ernest J. Gaines Award for Literary Excellence
- Whiting Writer's Award
- Chicago Public Library's Twenty-first Century Award
- Pioneering Achievements in Fiction, African American Literature and Culture Association
- Charles Angoff Award for Fiction, The Literary Review, 2003
- Special citations from the Society for Midlands Authors and the Zora Neale Hurston/Richard Wright Foundation
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Jeffery Renard Allen is represented by the Jodi Solomon Speakers Bureau.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.