Pen Name: None
Born: 1949 in Chicago, Illinois
Amberg lives in Evanston, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Jay Amberg is the author of eleven books. He received a BA from Georgetown University and a PhD from Northwestern University. He has taught high school and college students since 1972.
His latest book, Bone Box, is now available from Amika Press. Amberg has also published Cycle, America’s Fool, Whale Song, and compiled 52 Poems for Men.
Prior to Amika Press, Amberg published thriller novels Doubloon (Forge), Blackbird Singing (Forge) and Deep Gold (Warner Books).
Among his books on teaching are School Smarts and The Study Skills Handbook, published by Good Year. Amberg wrote The Creative Writing Handbook (Good Year) with Mark Henry Larson and Verbal Review and Workbook for the SAT (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich) with Robert S Boone.
- Verbal Review and Workbook for the Scholastic Aptitude Test, Harcourt, 1982
- Deep Gold, Warner Books, 1991
- The Creative Writing Handbook, Good Year Books, 1992
- The Study Skills Handbook, Good Year Books, 1993
- The Learning Skills Handbook: Eagerness to Learn and Knowledge of How to Learn are Far More Important than Ability, Good Year Books, 1993
- School Smarts: Two Thousand Things Students Need to Know, Good Year Books, 1996
- Blackbird Singing, Forge Books, 1998
- Fifty Two Poems for Men, Amika Press, 2001
- Doubloon, Forge Book, 2003
- Whale Song, Amika Press, 2011
- America's Fool: Las Vegas & The End of the World, Amika Press, 2011. 2nd Ed. Edition
- Cycle, Amika Press, 2012
- Bone Box, Amika Press, 2015
Titles at Your Library
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (No)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.