James L Swanson
From Illinois Authors
Pen Name: None
Born: February 12 in Chicago, Illinois
Swanson attended The University of Chicago where he was a student of John Hope Franklin.
Biographical and Professional Information
James L. Swanson is a former senior fellow in constitutional studies and former editor-in-chief of the Cato Supreme Court Review. A graduate of the University of Chicago and the UCLA School of Law, he was a member of the law review and recipient of a moot court distinguished advocate award. He served as assistant to Chairman Susan Liebeler at the U.S. International Trade Commission, clerked for Douglas H. Ginsburg, chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, and was a special assistant in the Office of Legal Counsel at the Department of Justice, where he worked on Supreme Court nominations. He is the founding and current editor of the First Amendment Law Handbook, an annual volume on recent developments in constitutional law and freedom of speech. He has written articles on intellectual property, the First Amendment, and other topics, and his work has appeared in the Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, American Heritage, and other newspapers and magazines. He is a member of the National Book Critics Circle and serves on the Advisory Committee of the National Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission.
- Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer (P.S.) , Harper Perennial , 2007
- Bloody Crimes: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse, William Morrow, 2010
- Chasing Lincoln's Killer , Scholastic Press, 2009
- Bloody Times: The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Manhunt for Jefferson Davis , Collins, 2010
- Lincoln's Assassins: Their Trial and Execution , Harper Perennial , 2008
- "The President Has Been Shot!": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy, Scholastic Press, 2013
- End of Days: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy, William Morrow, 2013
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The President Has Been Shot!: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
Release Date: 2013-09-24
- Edgar Award for Best Fact Crime , Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer and its sequel, Bloody Crimes: The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Chase for Jefferson Davis.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.