Pen Name: None
Born: in Peoria, Illinois
Photo Credit: John Coffey
Klise was born in Peoria and currently resides in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
James Klise is a high school librarian, supervisor of the high school literary journal and teen book club as well as the Gay-Straight Alliance advisor at Chicago International Charter School Northtown Academy. His short stories have appeared in many journals, including StoryQuarterly, New Orleans Review, Ascent, and Southern Humanities Review.
- Love Drugged , Flux, 2010
- The Art of Secrets, Algonquin, 2014
Titles at Your Library
- Stonewall Honor Award, 2011
- ALA Rainbow List of Recommended GLBTQ Books for Young Readers, 2011
- Lambda Literary Award Finalist, 2011
- Top 250 LGBTQ Books for Teens, 2015
The Art of Secrets
- ILLINIOS READS Book, 2015
- Edgar Award Winner, Mystery Writers of America, 2015
- "We Need Diverse Books" Educator Kit Selection, 2015
- Bank Street Best Books for Children Selection, 2015
- Vermont's Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award, Master List, 2016
- Sakura Medal H.S. Nominee, Japan, 2016
- Chicago Public Schools Recommended Reading List, 2015
- ALA Booklist Editors' Choice Winner, 2014
- Chicago Public Library "Best of the Best" Selection, 2014
- Booklist "Top 10 Crime Fiction for Youth," 2014
- ABC Best Books for Children & Teens Pick, 2014
- Christian Science Monitor "25 Best New Middle Grade Novels," 2014
- Houston Chronicle Summer Reading List, 2014
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Klise enjoys visiting high schools to talk to groups of any size, especially around Chicago. He will conduct half-day or full-day writing workshops, or to provide “book talks” about other contemporary novels that will get teens excited about reading. Fees vary, depending on travel. For more information, email him at: Jamesklise@gmail.com.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.