Jacqueline Dougan Jackson
Pen Name: Jacqueline Jackson
Born: 1928 in Beloit, Wisconsin
Jacqueline was one of the founding faculty of Sangamon State University - now University of Illinois at Springfield. She currently resides in Springfield.
Biographical and Professional Information
Jacqueline is the author of More Stories from the Round Barn, the companion volumen to her widely praised Stories from the Round Barn. Readers were introduced to life on the farm that WJ Dougan founded in 1906 near Beloit, Wisconsin, whre they had built an ununsual round barn. Using anecdotes, stories and vivid description, Jackson detailed her recollections of farm life with both drama and comic relief. More Stories continues Jackson's loving tribute to life on the Dougan farm and surrounding community introducing readers to a host of new characters to accompany familiar faces found in the first volume.
Jacqueline is a retired Professor of English from the University of Illinois at Springfield and is a consultant in creative writing. She originated Reading and Writing and Radio, a radio show broadcast in Wisconsin and Central Illinois for over twenty years where many thousands of children had their written stories read over the air. Jackson has received awards and citations from the American Library Association for her children's work. Her first story was published when she was ten years old.
Currently, she writes a poetry column in the Illinois Times, a weekly newspaper published in Springfield, Illinois.
- The Cloudlanders, 1938
- Julia's Secret Sloth, Little Brown, 1953
- The Paleface Redskins, Little, Brown, 1958
- Taste of Spruce Gum, Little, Brown, 1966
- Missing Melinda, Little, Brown, 1967
- Chicken Ten Thousand, Little, Brown, 1968
- The Ghost Boat, Little, Brown, 1968
- Spring Song, Kent State University Press, 1969
- The Orchestra Mice, Reilly & Lee, 1970
- The Endless Pavement, Seabury, 1973
- Turn Not Pale, Beloved Snail, Little, Brown, 1974
- Stories from the Round Barn, Triquarterly, 2000
- More Stories from the Round Barn, Triquarterly, 2002
- The Round Barn, A Biography of an American Farm Volume 1: Silo and Barn, Milkhouse, Milk Routes , Jaqueline Dugan Jackson, 2011
- The Round Barn, A Biography of an American Farm, Volume Two: The Big House, Around the Farm, Jaqueline Dugan Jackson, 2013
- The Round Barn, A Biography of an American Farm, Volume Three: Ron’s Place, Breeders Co-op, Hybrid Corn, Neighbors, Town, and County, Jaqueline Dugan Jackson, 2014
Titles at Your Library
The Taste of Spruce Gum
Release Date: 1966-06
Release Date: 1967-01
Chicken Ten Thousand
Release Date: 1968-06
Release Date: 1969
Release Date: 1970-06
Stories from the Round Barn
Release Date: 2000-05-16
The Round Barn, A Biography of an American Farm, Volume Two: The Big House, Around the Farm
Release Date: 2013-09-05
Jacqueline has received the Dorothy Canfield Fisher children's book award.
Jacqueline was honored at the 2005 Illinois Authors Book Fair sponsored by the Illinois Center for the Book and the Illinois State Library in Springfield, Illinois.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Contact Publisher -
Marilyn Marlow c/o Curtis Brown Ltd.
60 East 56th Street
New York, New York 10022
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.