Henry Justin Smith
Pen Name: None
Genres: Fiction, Non-Fiction, History, Other;
Born: 1875 in Chicago, Illinois
Deceased: 1936 in Evanston, Illinois
Henry Smith was a life long resident of Illinois. He attended the Morgan Park Military Academy and the University of Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Henry Smith became a reporter for the Chicago Daily News in 1899. He advanced as the city editor from 1901-1906, the assistant managing editor from 1906-1913, and the news editor from 1913-1924. He left the Chicago Daily News from 1924-1926, serving as assistant to the president of the University of Chicago. In 1926 he returned as managing editor. He kept this post until his death from pneumonia on February 9, 1936.
"In addition to his career as a newspaper man, Smith was also a historian and an author of fiction.
- The Other Side of the Wall, University of California Libraries , 1932
- Deadlines Being the Quaint, the Amusing, the Tragic Memoirs of a News-Room, Covici-McGee, 1923
- Chicago: (With Lloyd Lewis), Blue Ribbon Books, 1929
- Chicago's Great Century 1883-1993, Consolidated Publishers, 1933
- It's the Way It's Written Writing Versus Everything Else Genius on Newspaper Row, Sterling North of Chicago, 1934
- Oscar Wilde Discovers America (With Lloyd Lewis), Harcourt, Brace, and Company, 1936
- The Master of the Mayflower, Willett, Clark & Co, 1948
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The other side of the wall
Release Date: 2010-11-10
Deadlines Being the Quaint the Amusing the Tragic Memoirs of a News-Room
Release Date: 1923
Chicago; The History of Its Reputation.
Release Date: 1929
Chicago's Great Century 1883-1993
Release Date: 1933
It's the Way It's Written Writing Versus Everything Else Genius on Newspaper Row
Release Date: 1934
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.