Gerald Eades Bentley
Pen Name: None
Born: 1969 in Brazil, Indiana
Died: July 25, 1994, in Hightown, NJ
Taught at both the University of Illinois (1923-1926) and the University of Chicago (1929-1945).
Biographical and Professional Information
Gerald Eades Bentley was an authority on seventeenth-century English drama. He was a scholar, and educator as well as an author.
- The Jacobean and Caroline Stage , Claredon Press, 1941
- Shakespeare and Johnson, University of Chicago Press, 1945
- The Swan of Avon and the Bricklayer of Westminster, Princeton University Press, 1948
- The Arte of Angling, 1577, Princeton University Press, 1956
- Shakespeare, A Biographical Handbook, Yale University Press, 1961
- Shakespeare and His Theatre, University of Nebraska Press, 1994
- The Profession of Dramatist in Shakespeare`s Time, Princeton University Press, 1971
- The Profession of Player in Shakespeare`s Time, 1590-1642, Princeton University Press, 1984
- The Profession of Dramatist and Player in Shakespeare`s Time, Princeton University Press, 1986
Titles at Your Library
The Jacobean and Caroline stage;: Dramatic companies and players
Release Date: 1966
Shakespeare and Jonson: their reputations in the seventeenth century compared
Release Date: 1965
The swan of Avon and the bricklayer of Westminster
Release Date: 1946
Arte of Angling
Release Date: 1958-03-01
Shakespeare: A Biographical Handbook.
Release Date: 1961
Shakespeare and His Theatre (Landmark Edition)
Release Date: 1976-06-01
Profession of Dramatist in Shakespeare's Time, 1590-1642 (Princeton Legacy Library)
Release Date: 1972-02-21
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.