George Frederik Will
Pen Name: George F. Will,
Born: 1941 in Champaign, Illinois
Email: See website
Will was born and raised in Champaign, Illinois. He graduated from University Laboratory High School in Urbana, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Will is a prize wining columnist, journalist, and author. He writes about foreign and domestic politics and policy and baseball.
Will attended Trinity College in Connecticut and Oxford University in England. He earned a Ph.D. in political science from Princeton University in 1967. He taught at Michigan State University and the University of Toronto but left academic life to work in Washington DC in 1970.
In 1973, Will became the Washington editor of National Review. He then became a syndicated columnist for the Washington Post Writers Group in 1974 and was a contributing editor for Newsweek by 1976. In 1977, Will was a television commentator Agronsky and Company and in 1981 for This Week with David Brinkley. He won a a Pulitizer Prize for commentary writing in 1977.
Will has been a regular member of ABC's This Week on Sunday mornings since the show began in 1981. He continues to write a syndicated column for The Washington Post and serves as a contributing analyst with ABC News.
- Statecraft as Soulcraft, What Government Does, Simon & Schuster, 1984
- The Morning After, American Successes and Excesses, 1981-1986, Free Press, 1986
- The New Season, A Spectator`s Guide to the 1988 Election, Simon & Schuster, 1988
- Suddenly, The American Idea Abroad and at Home, 1986-1990, Macmillan, 1990
- Men at Work, The Craft of Baseball, Macmillan, 1990
- Restoration, Congress, Term Limits and the Recovery of Deliberative Democracy, Macmillan, 1992
- The Leveling Wind, Politics, the Culture, and Other News, Viking, 1994
- The Woven Figure, Conservatism and America`s Fabric, Scribner, 1997
- Bunts, Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose, and Other Reflections on Baseball, Scribner, 1998
- With a Happy Eye but...America and the World, 1997-2002, Free Press, 2002
- One Man's America: The Pleasures and Provocations of Our Singular Nation, Three Rivers Press, 2009
- A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred, Crown, 2014
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The New Season: A Spectator's Guide to the 1988 Election
Release Date: 1988-06
Suddenly the American Idea Abroad and at Home 1986 to 1990
Release Date: 1990-11-12
Restoration: Congress, Term Limits and the Recovery of Deliberative Democracy
Release Date: 1993-12-31
The Levelling Wind: Politics, Culture and Other News
Release Date: 1994-11
The Woven Figure: Conservatism and America's Fabric
Release Date: 1997-11-12
Bunts: Curt Flood Camden Yards Pete Rose and Other Reflections on Baseball
Release Date: 1998-05-04
With a Happy Eye But . . .: America and the World, 1997--2002
Release Date: 2002-09-19
One Man's America: The Pleasures and Provocations of Our Singular Nation
Release Date: 2009-11-17
A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred
Release Date: 2014-03-25
Will won a Pulitzer Prize for commentary writing in 1977.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (No)
c/o The Washington Post
1150 15th St. NW
Washington, DC 20071
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.