Pen Name: None
Born: 1945, in Philadelphia, Pennsylania
Esther teaches at an artists residency program, at Chicago's Newberry Library, and at the University of Chicago's Writer's Studio. Before she taught writers, she was an elementary school teacher in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Esther Hershenhorn specializes in picture books and middle grade fiction. She coaches writers and teaches courses on writing for children at the University of Chicago's Writers's Studio and Chicago's Newberry Library. Hershenhorn also serves on the board of advisers of the Society of Children's Book Wirters and Illustrators.
Her book The Confe$$ion$ and $ecret$ of Howard J. Fingerhut was a 2004-2005 Crown Award Nominee.
- There Goes Lowell's Party, Holiday House, 1998
- Illinois, Fun Facts and Games, GHB Publishers, 2000
- I is for Illinois, GHB Publishers, 2001
- The Confe$$ion$ and $ecret$ of Howard J. Fingerhut, Holiday House, 2002
- Chicken Soup by Heart, Simon & Schuster, 2002
- Fancy That, Holiday House, 2003
- Harley Hippo & the Crane Game, Loucks-Christenson Publishing, 2008
- S is for Story: A Writer's Alphabet, Sleeping Bear Press, 2009
- Little Illinois, Sleeping Bear Press, 2011
- Txtng Mama Txtng Baby, Sleeping Bear Press, 2013
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
There Goes Lowell's Party!
Release Date: 1998-03
The Confe$$ion$ and $ecret$ of Howard J. Fingerhut
Release Date: 2002-01-01
Chicken Soup by Heart won the 2003 Sidney Taylor Book Award for Young Readers
Esther was honored at the 2004 Illinois Authors Book Fair sponsored by the Illinois Center for the Book and the Illinois State Library in Springfield, Illinois.
Little Illinois, 2013 ILLINOIS READS Book
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.