Pen Name: Emily Arnold
Born: 1939 in Galesburg, Illinois
Emily McCully was born in Illinois and raised in New York.
Biographical and Professional Information
Emily majored in art history at college and acted and wrote for the theater. She lived in Europe for a year researching her Master's thesis, also in art history. Back in New York, she took to the streets with a portfolio of sample illustrations. Early assignments were for book jackets, magazine stories and pharmaceutical ads. A poster displayed in subway cars caught the attention of a children's book editor and a new career was launched. After illustrating other peoples' texts for several years and publishing two adult novels (A Craving and life Drawing) McCully began writing her own picture books.
Emily Arnold McCully has illustrated more than a hundred books for children, including her own First Snow and Arnold Adoff's Black Is Brown Is Tan.
- Mariette on The High Wire, G.P.Putnam's Sons, 1992
- My Real Family, Harcourt, 1994
- The Pirate Queen, Putnam, 1995
- The Ballot Box Battle, Knopf, 1996
- The Bobbin Girl, Dial, 1996
- Starring Mirette & Bellini, Putnam, 1997
- Popcorn at the Palace, Harcourt, 1997
- Beautiful Warrior, Scholastic, 1998
- An Outlaw Thanksgiving, Dial, 1998
- Mouse Practice, Scholastic, 1999
- Hurry Before It`s Too Late, Harcourt, 2000
- Mirette and Bellini Cross Niagara Falls, Putnam, 2000
- Picnic, Harper Collins, 2003
- Marvelous Mattie: How Margaret E. Knight Became an Inventor, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2006
- Manjiro: The Boy Who Risked His Life for Two Countries, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2008
- The Secret Cave: Discovering Lascaux, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2010
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Mirette on the High Wire
Release Date: 1997-04-14
My Real Family
Release Date: 1994-05-13
The Bobbin Girl
Release Date: 1996-05-01
AN Outlaw Thanksgiving
Release Date: 1998-10-01
The Secret Cave: Discovering Lascaux
Release Date: 2010-09-14
Caldecott Medal for "Mirette On the High Wire".
Christopher Award for "Picnic".
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Harriet Wasserman Agency
137 W. 36th Street, 19D
New York, N.Y. 10016
Chatham, N.Y. 12037
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.