Pen Name: None
Born: 1956 in Binghamton, New York
Sedaris moved to Chicago in 1983. He graduated from the School of the Art Institute in 1987. He also taught writing at School of the Art Institute of Chicago for a short time.
Biographical and Professional Information
David Sedaris is a Grammy Award-nominated humorist, writer, comedian, bestselling author, and radio contributor.
Sedaris was raised in a suburb of Raleigh, North Carolina. In 1983, he moved to Chicago and graduated from the Art Institute of Chicago in 1987. While working a string of odd jobs across Raleigh, Chicago and New York City, Sedaris was discovered reading his diary in a Chicago club by radio host Ira Glass, who asked Sedaris to appear on his weekly local program The Wild Room. His success there led to a monthly segment for National Public Radio based on entries in his diary.
His first collection of short stories, entitled Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays, was published in 1994 and became a national best-seller. Sedaris has also been published in print and online by Esquire Magazine, Slate, the New York Times, and The New Yorker. He has written six plays, five with his sister Amy Sedaris (some under the pen name of The Talent Family) including The Little Frieda Mysteries, Stump the Host, Stitches, One Woman Shoe, Incident at Cobbler's Knob, and The Book of Liz. In 2005 Sedaris edited Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules, an anthology of stories from his favorite authors.
Most of his books are available in a CD format and there are also four audio collections, Live at Carnegie Hall, The Ultimate David Sedaris Boxed Set, The David Sedaris Box Set and Live for Your Listening Pleasure. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim was nominated for a Grammy Award in for best spoken-word album, and David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall received a Grammy nomination for best comedy album.
He currently resides in England.
- Barrel Fever, Stories and Essays, Little, Brown, 1994 (Reprinted 2006)
- Santaland Diaries, Little, Brown, 1998
- Naked (autobiographical essays), Little, Brown, 1998 (Reprinted 2004)
- Holidays on Ice (short stories), Little, Brown, 1998
- Me Talk Pretty One Day (autobiographical essays), Little, Brown, 2001
- Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Back Bay/Little, Brown, 2004
- When You Are Engulfed in Flames, Little, Brown, 2008
- Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, Little, Brown, 2010
- Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls, Little, Brown, 2013
- Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002), Little, Brown, 2017
Titles at Your Library
Release Date: 2006-07-01
The Santaland Diaries
Release Date: 2000
Release Date: 2001-02-15
Holidays on Ice
Release Date: 2010-10-20
Me Talk Pretty One Day (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)
Release Date: 2001-06-05
Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Denim
Release Date: 2004
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary
Release Date: 2011-10-04
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
Release Date: 2013-04-23
Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
Release Date: 2017-05-30
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
- Lambda Literary Award for Humor, 2005
Me Talk Pretty One Day
- Lambda Literary Award for Humor, 2001
- James Thurber Prize for American Humor, 2001
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Agent: Steven Barclay
321 Pleasant St.
Petaluma, CA 94952
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.