From Illinois Authors
Pen Name: None
Birth Year: 1944 in Brownwood, Texas
Genre: Literary Nonfiction, Poetry
Website: Dan Guillory on Facebook
Guillory is Professor Emeritus at Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois. He resides in Findlay, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Guillory grew up in the bayou country of southern Louisiana in a bilingual (French-English) family. He attended Tulane University in New Orleans, where he received a Ph.D. in 1972 in modern American poetry. He then taught at Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois from 1972 to 2004, when he took an early retirement to devote himself full-time to writing and lecturing. He was appointed Professor of English Emeritus in 2004.
Dr. Guillory has won awards or grants from the Illinois Humanities Council, the Illinois Arts Council, the Academy of American Poets, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the American Library Association. Professor Guillory also served as a Fulbright Professor in West Africa from 1989 to 1990, on behalf of the U. S. Department of State.
Professor Guillory has published hundreds of articles and book reviews, as well as chapters or sections in several books. He is the author of nine books and one audiobook, beginning with Living With Lincoln: Life and Art in the Heartland (1989) and continuing to The Lincoln Poems (2008) and The Lincoln Poems audiobook (2009). The Lincoln Poems was one of only twenty-one Lincoln books chosen from across the nation for presentation at the National Lincoln Bicentennial Celebration on February 12, 2009 in Springfield, Illinois. The book was also favorably reviewed in Library Journal. Professor Guillory has read his poetry at many colleges, museums, and libraries throughout Illinois.
- Living with Lincoln, Stormline Press, 1989
- The Alligator Inventions, Stormline Press, 1991
- When the Waters Recede: Rescue and Recovery During the Great Flood, Stormline Press, 1996
- Images of America:Decatur, Arcadia Publishing, 2004
- Images of America: Wartime Decatur 1832-1945, Arcadia Publishing, 2006
- Images of America: Macon County, Arcadia Publishing, 2007
- The Lincoln Poems, Mayhaven Publishing, 2008
- People and Places in the Land of Lincoln, Mayhaven Publishing, 2010
- HousePoems, Mayhaven Publishing, 2013
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Living With Lincoln: Life and Art in the Heartland (Iowa Heritage Collection)
Release Date: 1996-01-01
The Alligator Inventions
Release Date: 1992-02-01
When the Waters Recede (1993)-96
Release Date: 1996-09-01
Decatur (IL) (Images of America)
Release Date: 2004-07-26
Wartime Decatur: 1832-1945 (IL) (Images of America)
Release Date: 2006-03-20
Macon County (IL) (Images of America)
Release Date: 2007-01-24
Award from the Academy of American Poets
Illinois Arts council Reader's Series
Dan was honored at the 1996 and 2005 Illinois Authors Book Fairs sponsored by the Illinois Center for the Book and the Illinois State Library in Springfield, Illinois.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Contact author at firstname.lastname@example.org
The author will be reading and signing books at:
- September 14, 2013, Decatur Public Library, Madden Auditorium, 2 PM
- September 28, 2013, Just Books, Assumption, 2 PM
- October 5, 2013, Mt. Zion District Library, Mt. Zion, 1 PM
- October 8, 2013, Atwood-Hammond Library, Atwood, 6:30 PM
- October 9, 2013, Barclay Public Library “Coffee Club,” Warrensburg, 10 AM
- October 17, 2013, Vespasian Warner Library, Clinton, 7 PM
- November 12, 2013, Dunlap Public Library, Dunlap, 7 PM (tentative)
He will be signing books at:
- September 21, 2013, Haines & Essick Bookstore, Decatur, 11 AM - 1 PM
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.