Claudia Guadalupe Martinez
Pen Name: None
Martinez has lived in Chicago since 2002.
Biographical and Professional Information
Claudia Guadalupe Martinez grew up in El Paso, Texas where she learned that letters form words from reading the subtitles of old westerns for her father. She now lives in Chicago where she works for a non-profit whose mission it is to improve the educational experiences of public school children.
- The Smell of Old Lady Perfume, Cinco Puntos Press, 2008
- Pig Park, Cinco Puntos Press, 2014
- Not a Bean, Charlesbridge, forthcoming in 2018
Titles at Your Library
The Smell of Old Lady Perfume
- Summer Must Read List, Hispanic Magazine, 2008
- Best Middle Grade Book of the Year, Latinidad’s, 2008
- Best of the Best List, Chicago Public Library, 2008
- Southwest Books of the Year List, Pima County Library, 2008
- ALAN’s Picks List, 2008
- Best Young Adult Book Award, Texas Institute of Letters, 2008
- Winner, Paterson Prize for Books for Young People, 2009
- Américas Award Commended Title, 2009
- YA Top Forty List, Pennsylvania School Librarians Association, 2009
- Teaching Tolerance List, Southern Poverty Law Center, 2009
- Recommended Reading List, Florida Department of Education, 2009-15
- Battle of the Books Official Title, Chicago Public Schools, 2010
- Battle of the Books Official Title List (Grade 7-8), Chicago Public Schools, 2014
- ALAN’s Picks List, 2014
- Young Adult Book Award, Texas Institute of Letters Best, 2015
- Best YA Fiction Award, NAACS Tejas Foco, 2015
- Books for Kids Interested in Engineering List, Chicago Public Library, 2015
- Recommended HS Reading List, Chicago Public Schools, 2015
- Recommended Summer Reading List, We’re the People
- Starred Review, VOYA magazine
- ILLINOIS READS Book Selection, Illinois Reading Council, 2017
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Please contact Martinez directly.
She is represented by Adriana Dominguez of Full Circle Literary.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.