Pen Name: None
Born: 1950 in Wilkes-Barre, PA
Cathy lived in Chicago where she published her first book, The Courtship of Joanna. While in Chicago, Gourley worked at Rosary College in River Forest, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Catherine is an award-winning author of adult and children's books, editor of books and magazines as well as a curriculum advisor.
Gourley's adult books are non-fication and many highlight the history of women's issues through the the 20th Century. She was a former Weekly Reader editor and has also written three books that are part of the hugely popular American Girl nonfiction series - Welcome to Felicity's World, Welcome to Samantha's World and Welcome to Molly's World.
Cathy is the curiculum advisor and national coordinator of Letters About Literature, a national reading and writing promotion sponsored by State Centers for the Book and the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress in partnership with Target.
Gourley is also the curriculum advisor for the The Story of Movies. A nationwide educational project created by The Film Foundation. The programs is geared toward middle school students and exposes them to classic cinema and teaches them about the social, historical and cultural significance of film in a read-the-book, watch-the-movie approach to teaching film and visual literacy.
- The Courtship of Joanna, Graywolf Press, 1988
- Island in the Creek, Harbour Publishing, 1988
- Hunting Neptune`s Giants True Stories of American Whaling, Millbrook Press, 1995
- Sharks, True Stories and Legends, Millbrook Press, 1996
- Never Turn Back, A Biography of Beryl Markham, Conari, 1997
- Wheels of Time A Picture Biography of Henry Ford, Millbrook Press, 1997
- Welcome to Felicity`s World 1774 , Pleasant Company Publications, 1999
- Welcome to Samantha's World-1904: Growing Up in America's New Century, Pleasant Company Publications, 1999
- Good Girl Work Factories, Sweatshops and How Women Changed Their Role in the American Workplace, Millbrook Press, 1999
- Media Wizards A Behind the Scenes Look at Media Manipulations, Twenty First Century Books, 1999
- Welcome to Molly`s World 1944: Growing Up in World War Two, Pleasant Company Publications, 1999
- Who is Maria Tallchief, Penguin-Putnam, 2002
- Society Sisters : Stories of Women Who Fought for Social Justice in America, Twenty-First Century Books, 2003
- Gibson Girls and Suffragists: Perceptions of Women from 1900 to 1918, Twenty-First Century Books, 2007
- Flappers and the New American Woman: Perceptions of Women from 1918 Through the 1920's, Twenty-First Century Books, 2007
- Rosie and Mrs. America: Perceptions of Women in the 1930s and 1940s, Twenty-First Century Books, 2007
- Gidgets and Women Warriors: Perceptions of Women in the 1950s and 1960s, Twenty-First Century Books, 2007
- Ms. and the Material Girls: Perceptions of Women from the 1970s Through the 1990s, Twenty-First Century Books, 2007
- War, Women, and the News: How Female Journalists Won the Battle to Cover World War II, Atheneum, 2007
- The Horrors of Andersonville: Life and Death Inside a Civil War Camp, Twenty-First Century Books, 2010
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Courtship of Joanna
Release Date: 1988
Island in the Creek
Release Date: 1988-01-01
Hunting Neptune'S Giants
Release Date: 1995-10-01
Beryl Markham: Never Turn Back (Barnard Biography)
Release Date: 1997-03-01
Good Girl Work: Factories, Sweatshops, and How Women Changed Their Role in the American Workforce
Release Date: 1999-03-01
Media Wizards: Behind The Scen
Release Date: 1999-10-01
Welcome to Molly's World, 1944: Growing Up in World War Two America (American Girl)
Release Date: 1999-10
Who Was Maria Tallchief?
Release Date: 2002-07-22
Society Sisters: Stories of Women Who Fought for Social Justice in America
Release Date: 2003-10-01
Flappers and the New American Woman: Perceptions of Women from 1918 Through the 1920s (Images and Issues of Women in the Twentieth Century)
Release Date: 2007-09-01
Rosie and Mrs. America: Perceptions of Women in the 1930s and 1940s (Images and Issues of Women in the Twentieth Century)
Release Date: 2007-09-01
Gidgets and Women Warriors: Perceptions of Women in the 1950s and 1960s (Images and Issues of Women in the Twentieth Century)
Release Date: 2008-01-01
Ms. and the Material Girls: Perceptions of Women from the 1970s Through the 1990s (Images and Issues of Women in the Twentieth Century)
Release Date: 2007-10-01
War, Women, and the News: How Female Journalists Won the Battle to Cover World War II
Release Date: 2007-02-27
The Horrors of Andersonville: Life and Death Inside a Civil War Prison (Exceptional Social Studies Titles for Upper Grades)
Release Date: 2010-01-01
- The Courtship of Joanna was nominated for the Carl Sandburg Award through the Chicago Public Library and was a finalist for the Jefferson Cup for excellence in historical fiction.
- Wheels of Time: A Biography of Henry Ford received a Voices of Youth Advocates (VOYA) Honor Book in 1998 by ALA.
- The Education Press Association of America honored Gourley’s work, for a how-to article titled Bringing Scary Characters to Life, which appeared in Writing! magazine and for her short story The Chameleon, which appeared in Read magazine.
- Read for Your Life, a collection of survival stories edited by Gourley, was named to ALA's “top ten” list of books for reluctant readers.
- Good Girl Work was named as one of the best nonfiction books published for young adult readers in 1999 by the American Library Association.
- Catherine was honored at the 2004 Illinois Authors Book Fair sponsored by the Illinois Center for the Book and the Illinois State Library in Springfield, Illinois.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: Yes, to schedule an author appearance or program--writing workshop or interactive discussion on the topics listed below, contact Cathy Gourley at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 570-675-3305.
- Real Ladies Don't Do That! An overview of women's images and issues throughout the 20th century. Focus: Popular culture & women’s history, media literacy.
- Blondie, Betty Boop, and Brenda Starr: Pen and Ink Perceptions of Women Focus: Popular culture & women’s history, media literacy.
- The Three A’s of Femininity: Social Stereotypes of the ‘50s & ‘60s Focus: Popular culture & women’s history, media literacy.
- Seeing vs. Watching: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Teaching Film in the Classroom Focus: Visual literacy.
- Reader Response, the Other ‘R’ in Reading Strategies for Prompting Reflective Writing Focus: The reading-writing process.
- The Story of the Movies programs include: To Kill A Mockingbird, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and The Day the Earth Stood Still.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.