Pen Name: None
Born: 1950 in Havana, Cuba
Lived in Chicago, Illinois after being exiled from Cuba in 1962. In 1973 he received his BA degree from Loyola University.
Biographical and Professional Information
Born in Havana in 1950, Carlos Eire left his homeland in 1962, one of fourteen thousand unaccompanied children airlifted out of Cuba by Operation Pedro Pan. After living in a series of foster homes in Florida and Illinois, he was reunited with his mother in Chicago in 1965. His father, who died in 1976, never left Cuba. After earning his Ph.D. at Yale University in 1979, Carlos Eire spend two years at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, taught at St. John's University in Minnesota for two years and at the University of Virginia for fifteen. He joined Yale University in 1996 and is now the T. Lawrason Riggs Professor of History and Religious Studies. He currently resides in Guilford, Connecticut.
- War against the Idols: The Reformation of Worship from Erasmus to Calvin , Cambridge University Press , 1989
- Jews, Christians, Muslims: A Comparative Introduction to Monotheistic Religions, Prentice Hall, 1997 - written with John Corrigan, Martin S. Jaffee and Frederick Mathewson Denny
- Readings in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, Prentice Hall, 1998
- From Madrid to Purgatory: The Art and Craft of Dying in Sixteenth-Century Spain (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern History) , Cambridge University Press , 2002
- Waiting for Snow in Havana, Free Press, 2003
- Warten auf Schnee in Havanna , Heyne Verlag , 2005
- Nieve en La Habana: Confesiones de un cubanito (Spanish Edition) , Vintage, 2007
- A Very Brief History of Eternity , Princeton University Press, 2009
- Learning to Die in Miami: Confessions of a Refugee Boy, Free Press, 2010
- Miami y Mis Mil Muertes: Confesiones de un cubanito desterrado, Free Press, 2010
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Learning to Die in Miami: Confessions of a Refugee Boy
Release Date: 2010-11-02
Readings in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
Release Date: 1998-01-15
War against the Idols: The Reformation of Worship from Erasmus to Calvin
Release Date: 1989-01-27
Nieve en La Habana: Confesiones de un cubanito (Spanish Edition)
Release Date: 2007-09-04
Miami y Mis Mil Muertes: Confesiones de un cubanito desterrado (Spanish Edition)
Release Date: 2010-11-02
From Madrid to Purgatory: The Art and Craft of Dying in Sixteenth-Century Spain (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern History)
Release Date: 2002-07-25
Warten auf Schnee in Havanna
- National Book Award in nonfiction for 2003, "Waiting for Snow in Havana"
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.