Carl Clinton Van Doren
Pen Name: Carl Clinton Van Doren, Carl Van Doren
Born: September 10, 1885 in Hope, Illinois
Died: July 18, 1950, in Torrington, CT
Carl was the son of a country doctor and was raised on the family farm in Vermillion County, Illinois. He earned a bachelor of arts from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1907.
Biographical and Professional Information
Carl Clinton Van Doren was a U.S. critic and Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer. He was the brother of Mark Van Doren and the uncle of Charles Van Doren.
- Other Provinces, Knopf, 1925
- The Ninth Wave, Harcourt, 1926
- Three Worlds, Harper, 1936
- Van Doren, Carl, Three Worlds, Harper, 1936
- Benjamin Franklin, Viking, 1938
- An Illinois Boyhood, Viking, 1939
- Carl Van Doren, Selected by Himself, Viking, 1945
- American Scriptures, Boni and Gaer, 1946
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Release Date: 1925
The ninth wave.
Release Date: 1926
Release Date: 1991-06-01
An Illinois boyhood
Release Date: 1939
Release Date: 2007-03-15
Pulitzer Prize, 1939, for Benjamin Franklin
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.