Pen Name: None
Born: June 14, 1909, in Hunt City Township, Illinois
Died: April 14, 1995, in Anacortes, Washington
Burl Ives was born in Hunt City Township and attended Eastern Illinois University.
Biographical and Professional Information
While not an academic folklorist, Ives was dedicated to preserving the American folk tradition. Ives attended Eastern Illinois University as well as Julliard in the 1930's. Ives was described by another Illinois author, Carl Sandburg, as "the mightiest ballad singer of any country." In addition, Ives is well remembered as an actor on the stage, in motion pictures and as a writer.
- Wayfaring Stranger, Whittelsey House, 1948
- Burl Ives Song Book, Ballentine, 1953
- Tales of America, World, 1954
- Sailing on a Very Fine Day, Rand McNally, 1954
- Song in America: Our Musical Heritage, 1962
- Guitar for Beginners, Lorenz Press, 1976
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Burl Ives Guitar for Beginners
Release Date: 1976-09
Illinois Author of the Year, Illinois Association of Teachers of English, 1983
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.