Pen Name: None
Born: 1950 in Chicago, Illinois
Skilnik was born in and lives in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Bob Skilnik is a freelance writer and expert on the subjects of beer, brewery history and "breweriana". He is the author of The History of Beer and Brewing in Chicago-1833-1978 and The History of Beer and Brewing in Chicago, Vol. II. He is a graduate of the Chicago-based Siebel Institute of Technology, the oldest brewing school in the United States, with a degree in Brewing Technology.
He is a former associate editor for the American Breweriana Journal and a contributor to trade journals, magazines, and newspapers, including the Chicago Tribune’s Good Eating section. He has appeared on ABC’s The View, the Fox News Channel’s Fox News Live, ESPN2’s Cold Pizza and WTTW’s Chicago Tonight.
Skilnik says his interests in beer and brewing were cultivated while serving as a German translator in Western Germany for the U.S. Army.
- The History of Beer and Brewing in Chicago: 1833-1978, Pogo Press, 1999
- The History of Beer and Brewing in Chicago, Vol. II, Infinity Publishing.com, 2002
- The Drink Beer, Get Thin Diet, A Low Carbohydrate Approach, 1st Books Library, 2003
- The Low Carb Bartender: Carb Counts For Beer, Wine, Mixed Drinks, And More, Adams Media Corporation, 2004
- 101 Ways To Cut Fats And Carbs, Allegro Corporation, 2006
- Beer: A History of Brewing in Chicago, Barricade Books, 2006
- Beer and Food, An American History, Jefferson Press, 2007
- Nutritional Values for Beers, Wines and Spirits, Gabrinus Media, 2009
- Does My Butt Look Big In This Beer? Nutritional Values Of 2,000 Worldwide Beers, Gambinus Media, 2009
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The History of Beer and Brewing in Chicago: 1833-1978
Release Date: 1999-10
Beer & Food: An American History
Release Date: 2007-02-28
Gold Quill and Tankard Award for History of Beer and Brewing in Chicago in 2000.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: Yes, contact,
16106 S. Dan O' Connell Drive
Plainfield, Illinois 60586
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.