Pen Name: None
Born: February 4, 1921 in Peoria, Illinois
Died: February 4, 2006 in Washington, DC
Friedan was born and raised in Peoria.
Biographical and Professional Information
Betty Friedan was born Betty Naomi Goldstein. She was a feminist organizer and the co-founder of NOW - the National Organization for Women - and its first president serving from 1966 - 1970. She was educated in psychology at Smith College and the University of California at Berkeley. She worked as a journalist, teacher and lecturer. The Feminine Mystique is considered a basic document of the feminist movement.
- The Feminine Mystique, Norton, 1963
- It Changed My Life, Random House, 1976
- The Second Stage, Summit, 1981
- The Fountain of Age, Simon & Schuster, 1993
- Beyond Gender, New Politics, Woodrow Wilson Center Press, 1997
- Life So Far, A Memoir, Simon & Schuster, 2000
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Second Stage: With a New Introduction
Release Date: 1998-04-01
The Fountain Of Age
Release Date: 1994
Beyond Gender: The New Politics of Work and Family
Release Date: 1997-10-10
Life So Far: A Memoir
Release Date: 2006-08-01
Humanist of the Year 1975
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.